Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

On the Twelfth Day

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me….hope.

Dear Santa –

I think I’ve been a good girl this year. I’ve attempted to be patient but I will admit there was some pouting and some crying. My husband is very aware of the latter mentioned acts. I’ve gotten older and sometimes the holiday spirit ebbs and flows given the mood and happenings, but this doesn’t mean that I don’t have a Christmas wish. I’ve watched the “Storybook Lady,” “White Christmas,” “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” and “Yes, Virginia There is a Santa Claus” enough to realize that the holiday power is something bigger than myself. My wishes have shifted in my years and wisdom. I honestly can’t imagine the list that I used to tell you on your knee each year. I remember a bike but I have a feeling that I didn’t ask you for that. My requests this year come from a spot of hope, with maybe even a tinge of desperation, a hope for happiness as I continue into 2015. You see as you get older you lose a grasp on those obtainable concrete items and things like peace and joy, which sounded so silly and unrealistic in my youth, suddenly becoming the shining wants of the holiday season. Don’t think for a moment I can’t get more specific but you see, that’s the thing, no matter what you bring for the holiday this year or don’t bring, I know that I still want the same outcome. I just think that I know what should be in your big giant bag and up your sleeve. Please keep my heart in mind this year. I’ll set some cookies out for you. Be aware that we’ve moved but I’ve been told by the home inspector that the chimney is clean.

Merry Christmas, Santa.

Love, ALR

Dear Santa –

I want food. And my own place. And those other cats gone. And a rabbit. And two doves. And a ground squirrel. And to go outside.  

Love, Nike

No comments:

Post a Comment