Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2014

On the Tenth Day

On the 10th Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…..tradition.

There is a fine balance between doing things of your own and creating your own tradition. I think the blending of these items is what creates a harmony in your life while not making things stale. One tradition that I did this year was to watch “White Christmas” with my mother. I’ve seen it so many times I watch for certain things each time, the lapses between takes, the foot work during the “Mandy” song, the full skirts, the thoughts of Vermont. It’s the first musical that I can remember from my childhood and has impacted that feeling of the season. We had a night with us girls while the boys went out to the movies.

With that tradition coming from the past, I think Matt and I started one on Friday, with a little influence from our past. We went to Taco John’s for a Nachos Navidad, which I can remember my mother taking me out one day, it was just her and I, and I can’t tell you why but I remember it very special that we were out. Anyway, we went to Taco John’s, then drove around town looking at Christmas lights. We went through Seratoma park, another memory from my past, and then went around town looking for lights. We stopped by Chmielewski's Christmas Corner, which we did last year. You could see the family display from the sky, I’d guarantee it. But they take Christmas and creativity to a new level. After driving around, we headed home. It’s moments like this that make me realize that we’ll continue to build on old traditions and new ones, which make me take note of the season.

MJR: I can hear their electric meter going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment