Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

How to share the news....first wave.

This past weekend, my birthday weekend, we decided to tell the Grandparents that they were going to be grandparents. It's wonderful to know that no matter what happens, you have a group of support that is willing to share in your celebrations and also ward off the worries. I didn't want to do it all obvious or silly, like the bun in the oven thing. 

My parents: After birthday dinner, we casually began a conversation about what other people call their grandparents (grandma, nana, poppa) and then informed them that they'd have to let us know what they'd prefer. Then we listened to the minutes of silence. My mother was the first to talk and ask if we were telling them news....it was fun to share and tell them what we'd been going through and what we knew up to this point. 

Matt's parents: Now this one we knew we'd have to do a bit different and it worked perfect to wrap it in a present for her to open. That would give us the best surprise reaction. I'll admit, we both were surprised there was no fist pumps and for the most part they were relatively quiet. We did get it on video.

There were some similarities between the two reactions...first both were happy, which isn't a shock. Both came forward with an immediate hug, which isn't a shock either. Both fathers were fairly quiet. But surprisingly, both mothers stated that either they knew or had a feeling. Maybe someday I'll get that mother's intuition.

Name of the week: James
Cravings: Milk
Pregnancy symptoms: Occasional headaches, occasional tiredness, and observation of weight gain

ALR: How'd you think they went.
MJR: Mine or yours?
ALR: Both.
MJR: Good, it felt really good to tell them.
ALR: Yeah, I wish it wasn't so early still.

MJR: I know.
Slight pause.
MJR: Show me my mom's face again.


**This post was post-dated and released at a later date for reasons determined by ALR/MJR

No comments:

Post a Comment