Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

How to Fair, Sho, and Can....

You know when you feel like you never have time to sit. That's been July for us. I have spent time at our address but it sure doesn't feel like it. We mostly come, drop our stuff, feed the cats, sleep, and pack our stuff to leave again. We've spent a lot of time in a vehicle and may fondly remember July 2015 as the month we sat in cars. August may be better, may not be. I am not sure if we can get worse! 

The week started out a little slow, went and saw Capitol Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors. Last year I had taken Matt to Macbeth, which I loved and want to thoroughly discuss but he did not. This year I got smart and met a friend, Lexi, there. We picnic'd, gossiped. and then enjoyed the comedy. It was better than last year's and the weather was wonderful! What a great event!

Thursday I spent at the State Fair. I worked a booth during Senior Day. The highlight of my day included the footlong corn dog and getting my picture taken with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Wish the picture would have taken a little better, I hate that about the camera on my phone! The weather was super warm and the brief time I spent on the grounds reminded me of the summers that we came up to show steers.

We've also officially started the canning season with a lug of peaches. We did a couple quarts of white peaches in a light honey syrup one night and the next night we did a bunch of sauerkraut in pints and white peach and basil jelly. I was hoping the peach smell would outweigh the smell of the kraut. I was wrong. It hung in the air.
Saturday was full. We woke up, headed over to Fargo for the Airsho. Matt has had this on my calendar for months. This event was featuring the US Navy Blue Angels. The event ongoing got better when Mead & Hunt/Jon invited us to attend in the VIP area. This meant that we had a shaded tent and a first row seat within 150 feet of the Blue Angels, center field of the show!


There were so many great performances. It was painful to ask Matt which was his favorite....he went back and forth between Chuck Dramamine's act, to the Harrier, to the Blue Angels, to Kent Pietsch's dead stick, to Fat Albert....I think my favorite were the Immortals, which was a combination of planes but the Angels were stiff competition.
Photo courtesy of "I Do" Events

When we got home, we rested just a bit before heading out to help take down another wedding. This one was also at the Radisson, where we had had our reception. We are always quick to judge other weddings in this location and compare it to our own.
We are getting the hand of this pretty well and will probably have a few more coming up later this month.

On Sunday, we got back in the car, of course we did. We headed to Elgin/Morristown to see my Grandmother. Early in the year, we had agreed to her putting in a row of beets for us to pickle. Well, she made good on it. Her row and our row are a bit different when we took a look at her garden, which was as big as our yard! Not only did we get beets but got left over chicken, potatoes, chicken gravy, buns, bread, pie, and a full belly. Was good to visit with her and Grandpa and can't believe all she gives!

I also hate to brag but I did win three marbles games in a row. Matt claimed I'm a cheater but I've had a lot of practice over the years!

Best meal: This is a no brainer...Grandma's chicken. There wasn't anything that I didn't like. Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, bread, gravy, peaches, vinegar slaw, gravy, scalloped corn, and gravy.

ALR: Will we see a lot of aviation people here today?
MJR: Probably. You see, it's an air show, that's like Aviation Nirvana.
ALR: What's OshKosh week then?
MJR: Woodstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment