Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

How to start a camping season...

We had our first official camping trip this past weekend. We also had the official dive weekend camping trip. We'd been looking forward to it to spend it with friends that we've been missing. We got there on Friday, after a week of hurrying to get the camper ready. We really had a perfect weekend with sun and hot temps! Good thing for the air conditioner!

Was good to catch up and fall back into old habits and old conversations. I think my favorite part of the weekend sitting around the campfire with the girls talking and laughing and making s'mores. I'm proud to say I made Roxanne's son, Ian's first s'more. I think he's was in love...all those wonderful foods coming together at once. Mmmm. I even had a belly ache that night from too many marshmallows.
Matt's favorite part of the trip was the boat, being on the water, and finally getting some fish caught. He's ahead of his parents this year with two caught. I know he would have liked more but for how much we've been out, we'll take what we can get.

Besides getting the camper ready, we also have been busy around the house....harvesting crop, gardening, canning....We canned 8 quarts of pickled beets, 6 half pints of peach honey, 4 pints of strawberry beat syrup, and 7 pints and 3 half pints of beet jelly. I still need to finish up the peach jelly (new recipe) and Matt has some plans to pickle our beans.
We went out to harvest when we got back from camping and we saw a little friend. We had been told about them but was still pleasantly surprised to see him scampering on the concrete towards the lake. Matt gave him a lift after trying to show him to our runarounds...they could care less, they just wanted to be outside.
Best meal: Fireside Pizza sandwiches, one of my favorites each year. MMMMMMmmmmm!

Conversation from the farm while out for supper while my grandparents were there.
Dad: No, we milked cows all the way until I left for college.
Grandpa: Nah....
Dad: Yes, we did, that old white cow.
Grandma: What was her name? Do you remember?
Dad: Whitey.

When crawling into the bed in the camper.
MJR: Why do you get two pillows in the camper?
ALR: Because I packed the camper and made the bed.
MJR: Valid point.

No comments:

Post a Comment