Pages

Friday, August 21, 2015

How to fit it all in....in 100 degrees

It was one of those weeks where you feel like you are going in a million directions. Not saying they were bad directions...but hard to keep straight and a little bit random.

I started it off as being Mom's guest at her company picnic. The weather was beautiful, the food was good, it was fun to meet some of her co-workers and it was good to wander around and check things out. I had to laugh at the goats, who stole the show, they were butting heads and fighting all over the place. Matt and I haven't really been to the zoo much this summer so taking the night with her was nice.

I also helped volunteer through work at the Youthworks clothing drive. This was a community event where underprivileged came to get clothes to start out the school year. I was surprised at how much we started with and what was left when it was over. Made me think of my first days of school and how lucky I was with my fresh backpacks, new shirts and sneakers.
 On the garden front, it's been good. We've been picking tomatoes, watching the cabbage, and finishing out the beans. We harvested our first peppers. Matt's peppers that he grew from seed are also looking really phenomenal. I worried about the jellies, jams, and syrups and Matt's cornering the market on pickles. He started off with one crock and now, in the basement, he's got about 5 gallons of pickles going.

I tried something new with a bountiful basket add on, I put up hibiscus jelly. Something new and different, plus what else do you do with hibiscus leaves? I did get a personal victory....we have ate a raised strawberry. It was little and Matt and I shared it.... but we've managed to pick and eat two.
 I've been out a few times to Mom and Dad's, they have a batch of kittens that lost their mama. They are so little and such loud mewers. They can outmew Lola. There are 4 of them and are two little to drink out of a dish so have to be given everything by hand. Mom thinks they look like a 1950's electronic football game. Matt thinks they look like little drunks. I agree with the drunks, stumbling all over, yelling, wandering through places that they shouldn't. So you continually feed them and then clean them up.

We  also made one of my new summer favorites....pizza on the grill.
 On the cat front, the cats were a bit naughty this week. We came home one night and they were gone. Ran away. Lola had opened the door and both had went outside. Lola was coming down our driveway when we got home but TD was no where to be seen. I had a small meltdown. After 20 minutes, I found him across the street (another meltdown) eating the neighbor's plants.
He's been pretty good since then.
ALR to TonyDanza: TonyDanza, come take a picture with George.
ALR: (while making supper) I have a concern
MJR: (looks at Lola) Lola, do you think this is a real concern or one she's made up in her head.
Lola: Me-ow.
ALR: What did you say?!


No comments:

Post a Comment