Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

I Made the Nice List

Christmas really is my favorite day of the year. I’m reminded each year from start to finish. This year I felt behind, and I know some of it is an age thing, but I always felt like I wasn’t ready. I didn’t cook at all this season, I didn’t do any online shopping, I wrapped up to the last minute, I forgot fruit for dessert fondue, and I still have some wrapping to do for a few people I haven’t seen and all the hustle is worth it every time when it comes to spending time with my family.

On Christmas Eve, we went down south to Grandma and Grandpa’s farm. It was the smallest Christmas I can ever remember with them. We all fit around the table. I think there were 11 people. I admit I have grown accustomed to the crowded rooms and the grab a seat where you can. It’s nice to see those that were able to make it and catch up a bit with what’s happening with the family and their families.

Christmas Day also puts me in a good mood. We have a tradition with our family that I’m glad that we started. I know it changed how the extended families do things but I love that we get up, eat Christmas Bread that Grandma made, open presents one at a time (starting with Santa gifts of course), and then fondue-ing for lunch, which takes way more time than the average meal. We have really raised the bar in our fondue-ing practice. The first year we had one pot and did normal things. To tell you how far we’ve come, this year we did homemade onion rings, steak sandwiches, corn dogs, fries, and bananas among the growing list and in two+ pots.

After the meal and cleaning up, I took off to Dickinson, where there was another amazing meal waiting for me. Ham, potatoes, green beans, and stuffing…I’ve already picked out my gym. We opened presents there too, visited, and caught up a bit. I don't know who was happier, me getting a PanAm bag or Randy getting ground beef.

I got so many great presents but the time with family and those that I really care about is what made me smile and realize that I must have done something right to be this lucky. We still have a gift exchange with Matt and my parents, we are planning food and fun. I’m glad; I’d hate to quit the Christmas spirit cold turkey!

“Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won't make it 'white'.”—Bing Crosby

No comments:

Post a Comment