Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Final Day of Mexico for the Fisher and the Gatherer

Matt woke up at 5:30 and he went fishing with Kevin. I, on the other hand, actually slept in for the first day during the whole vacation. After breakfast I went out with Kim, Leo, Luann, Sara, Nate, and baby Millie, to Billygan’s. I had the opportunity to finish up my shopping with the peddler parade. Leo was impressed with my bartering abilities; I just think I’m a tough cookie who knows what she wants! I was able to get a couple gorgeous wooden bowls with hand-painted fruit on them, some jewelry, a pair of designer sunglasses, and a gift for Matt.

Matt came back around 3ish and shared his adventure with me and his bag of fish! They caught 4 Dorado all together. Dorado is mahi mahi. They also saw pelicans, dolphins, a whale, and had a sea lion ride on the boat! I was jealous again! I thought the picture that he took of the sea lion was pretty cute but I guess he was pretty old.

When they got back to the marina, a boy under 12 cleaned their fish and they feed the skins to the pelicans. I didn’t realize how many pelicans we’d see in Mexico. They sit around and wait for the fish to be cleaned or the bait to be thrown out. When I saw fish being cleaned, the cleaners would have to kick the pelicans back.

We took the fish to a restaurant called the Shrimp Factory, they prepare it for $7 a plate in 4 different styles: blackened, grilled, garlic, and breaded. The meal is served family style. This was our second favorite of the trip. It was so filling and tasted so great. It also had special meaning in the sense that Matt and Kevin provided the meal by catching it that morning. We had a huge group; we had all the family present as well as a local, Trinidad, who Kevin and Kim have become friends with during their multiple trips down.

After the meal, I wrote our names on the wall that held hundreds of signatures. Maybe someday we’ll go back and look it up!

“We hit the sunny beaches where we occupy ourselves keeping the sun off our skin, the saltwater off our bodies, and the sand out of our belongings.” –Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment