Pages

Thursday, May 11, 2017

The one with the birthday letter.

Dear Eleanor -

Today you are one years old. I just keep saying it over and over in my head. I am trying to determine how this makes me feel. I'm happy and want to celebrate because you, my sassy-rific little redhead, are so full of spunk and independence and I have seen you grow and change. But it also makes me want to hold you tighter and brings tears to my eyes because you've grown so much and time is slipping faster than I can grab, no matter what I try to do. Most nights, I have rocked you and put you to bed... rocked you in the same chair and put you in the same crib, in the same room each night but I notice that something continues to change, you... you are growing, you are shifting and we continue to fit just a little differently together as the year has progressed. And I feel like this is how it's going to be from now until forever. I love being your mother. I love watching your face light and your laugh start. I love planning surprises for you and watching you play them out - like the magnets at Easter.

Today you are one years old... and I think back to my time before you were born and I think of how my life has changed. I know you won't remember your birthday party or your first present or how I worried about the details because I knew you were worth it. I know you deserve such wonderful things in life. While your Dad and I will give you a present tonight, and go to your current favorite restaurant (Taco Bell), know that my biggest wish for you for your next year and all the ones coming is that you find happiness. I know that's the gift you've given me the past year.

I love you, Sassafras.

Mom.





p.s. Dear Matt - We made it! ALR



No comments:

Post a Comment