Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pheasants and Pharming

Another weekend come and gone, but this one was a bit different. We finally made it back to the farm. We hadn’t been there since before the wedding and the time during the wedding really didn’t count. I’ve known that Mom and Dad have been working their tails off, with the combining and the cattle, and the place. It doesn’t help that the corn this year is still up and they are going crazy to get it off, the only consolation, they are not the only ones with it still on the stalk.

Blue jays are considered lucky, unless
you are my mom, who doesn't like
them eating her dog food.
We arrived Friday night and stayed until early evening on Sunday. It was great to catch up and while Matt enjoyed the outdoors, I stayed inside to warm and cleaned house for mom. Ironically that’s always been my favorite deal, if she goes outside and works with Dad and I get to stay inside, I’ll clean or cook or anything. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve put my hours in wearing coveralls but I will take preference points in the warm. I’m a fair-weather farmer.

Matt enjoyed the farm and was finally able to get out and get some birds down. He loved it even more when Bruce, a family friend, showed up with Gunner, his dog. Matt was able to take out his grandfather’s 16 gauge double barrel shotgun, which had been given to us as a wedding present. He was able to grab 4 birds over the weekend, not quite a limit out but a nice showing still. He would have limited out if he’d have had Gunner the next day too to follow the down birds. Was glad to see him enjoy himself in orange again.
He worked with Dad on a few projects including the chains on the truck tires, unloading grain, moving the portable corrals, chainsawing wood, and working to unfrost the drinker. I had a pivotal role in last one, I was the official water boiler. Overall it was a great time to finally sit and visit with my parents. Mom and I even got a time away from them as we snuck off to town. Her and Alaina are really world travelers lately! Alaina’s in DC and Mom will be in Vegas for a conference next week.

Now if Matt can just get over being sick in time for Thanksgiving, that would be WONDERFUL! We are at my parents house so we’ll arrive Wednesday night and enjoy the festivities in time to head back so we can work on Friday. Next year, I’ll plan better and get BlackFriday off! *Note to self, make sure you take this off in advance.

Best meal: I love potato soup. It’s sad that for as much as I love it, Matt doesn’t but it’s still one of my top 5 meals.

Mom on the phone talking about a deceased grandchild of a friend.
MJR: “We really need to get our will together”
Mom gets off the phone
ALR: “I know, I know, where do you want your ashes spread?”
MJR: “I don’t! I want to be buried!”
ALR: “I know! I was talking to my Mother!!”
Mom: “Oh in the front yard, there’s a bucket there by the fireplace you can just leave them in for now.”
ALR (To herself): I have a feeling that she’s not thinking the same thing that I am.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe someone will bre retired and won't have to use up some time :)

    ReplyDelete