Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

HM: Sandtraps and Lost Balls

 Final Full Day of the HM.


So to give you a little back story on this day…Matt had been riding me for the two weeks before we went on our honeymoon about golfing the course on the island. He had been saving money here and there and I really didn’t think it was necessary but finally because I wanted to ensure that he was happy, I said, yes, let’s go golfing.

We got the prices from Eugene but when Matt went to set up his tee time, she told him don’t bother. First red flag to me. So there we were on Friday, getting carted to the golf course. As we turned on the road that the course was one, I began seeing more and more red flags as the grounds were unkempt and the growth and landscaping was a bit more miss than hit. So we pulled up to the “clubbuilding” which had bars on the window. We went in and was surprised how uninviting it was…decoration was mostly concrete and piles. There weren’t really any apparel hung to display? There weren’t clubs for showing off or shoes for trying on and the lady that took our tee time wasn’t exactly what I would call a golf pro.

We got 2 bags and 1 cart rental and 2 rounds of 9. Matt then told her that we needed tees to which she grabbed a handful out of a drawer and handed to him. Matt then told her that we needed balls. She stated that she’d sell a bag of balls to us, used. I could barely contain my laughter watching him hold his bag o’balls and his handful of tees.

My laughter got stronger when we pulled up to the first tee box and also when we got to the first green. Here he was expecting this lush, plush, cushy course…and we got the island version of Lansford! I didn’t mind the course but I know he was disappointed. I might as well have stayed on the beach for the day for as much time as I spent in the sandtraps. First time I’d ever seen seashells in the sandtraps!
 After completing our round and being unsuccessfully in selling back our balls to the “pro” we headed back in our cab to only stop for lunch. We stopped at the Taste Factory Bakery and I had a salami sandwich with a gallon of water and Matt had a Tunefish sandwich.

When we got back to the resort, we stopped at the Resort office. Matt and I had decided that even though we weren’t going to take them up on their timeshares offer, we did want to take advantage of the comeback plan. We’d get to try them out another time in a beachfront studio at a discounted rate. Think of it as getting our feetwet with the idea of a timeshare. We were excited to try it out and when we signed they presented us with a bag and a bottle of champagne…can’t say no to those things.

With the bottle chilling in the fridge, we headed out to supper. We walked the boardwalk and picked a place, Talula Mango’s also known as the Blue Bitch Bar. We ordered a bucket of beer, an ice cream drink, and something as close as Matt could get to mozzarella sticks…Gouda sticks.

As the sun sank down on the Great Bay…we relived the time on the island. It was a great time and it was nice to have the two of us…no phones, no internet, no work…just us, the sand, the beach, and the occasional rain. While talking, I ordered the creole grouper and Matt had the ½ and 1/2, ½ ribs and ½ jerk chicken…was one of his favorite meals on the island. I was glad he ordered it because the mashed potatoes were amazing that came with them!

After arriving home, we spent the last night on the patio with a cigar and our bottle of champagne and toasted to the first of our many married vacations together.
Best meal: Matt’s meal at Blue Bitch was the best….I could have had ribs and those mashed potatoes over and over again.

MJR: Laugh all you want.
ALR: There were bars on the window.
MJR: Yes I saw them.
ALR (giggling)
MJR: Are you going to tee off already?
ALR: You didn’t wonder when they said, just show up?
ALR: (Giggling)

No comments:

Post a Comment