Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

More than Just Turkey.

The other morning as I got ready for work I began to think about the idea behind Thanksgiving as I’d been feeling a real sense of peace with the upcoming holiday as well as a sense of excitement for the Christmas holiday to follow. I admit, I’ve had a great life. I grew up with a set of loving (but crazy) parents who taught me values that I’m hoping to pass on someday. I learned the benefits of hard work. I did not want for anything and even when my mother recalls times of financial hardship, I can’t remember them because I always had what I needed. I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished personally and now when I look back at how my life has changed in the past 5 years, it’s a little overwhelming. I’m thankful for so many things; it’s actually pretty amazing that I don’t even know where to start. I’m thankful for Matt. I’m thankful for Matt and I and even when we disagree, I know it’s not something that will change what we have. I’m thankful for our health and our beautiful home. I’m thankful for our pets with the personalities that continue to show through (TonyDanza chasing his tail, Lola burrowing under blankets, or Nike smothering Matt). I’m thankful for the family I have and the love and support that they continue to give me and now show my husband. I’m thankful for the family that I’ve acquired and the more that I get to know them, the more that I keep falling in love with who they are (Kevin…this is where I hear a Carly Simon song…:P and Sara, you are so humble that you may not realize this includes you!). I’m thankful for my job and for Matt’s continued challenges in his job. I’m thankful for the great friends that I have. I’m thankful that it doesn’t matter how many miles are between some of my friendships, they are only a thought and a call away. I’m thankful for some of my experiences with these friends, I can’t describe the feelings I have when I think back to my wedding and the wave of emotion, love, and just plain ol’thankfulness that rushes through me. I could go on and on….and that morning while standing in the bathroom with a straightner in my hand, I did. No matter where I turned and what I looked at, the feeling continued to hit me.

I have a facebook friend that has a word of the year, it’s a feeling that she uses to describe the entire year and this year’s for me is Thankful. I’ve actually had more time to be introspective on my thoughts of how my life has settled as of late. Sure, there are some slight changes but they are shattering and bold as they have been in the past. I know there will be changes in the future too, maybe a move, maybe a family, different pets, but it’s a year like this that reminds me that no matter what shaking out may happen there is a calming of the seas at some point, you just have to wait for it.

Thanksgiving was spent at my mother’s house. Matt got to throw on a little orange and go out with one of his groomsmen, Jayme. He even managed to bag a couple birds. It was a wonderful meal. As I grow older, I appreciate certain things more and more. I like the turkey dinner, with cranberries, with stuffing, with mashed potatoes, with gravy and then to end in a pumpkin pie…..wonderful. Yes, the prep time is enormous and I’m not quite sure if some people realize that or the amount of dishes that are created, but it’s wonderful to make the plate and sit down to enjoy it. There were 23 people at the house. And we had three tables. I did something right this go around…I handed Denise my camera, and off she went to capture the day. Loved some of the pics that she captured.
Matt and Payton
             
Me and the reason behind why the meal was so wonderful
Best Part of the Meal: The stuffing...it was my favorite. Even the left overs were amazing, was so glad mom sent them home with me.

Scene: Carsteyn (Ambour's oldest, who was a program attendent in our wedding) cruises down the hallway with Barbie car.
Tyler (Wes's oldest) cruises after with a Barbie doll in hand! Frantic.
Carsteyn comes back heading east with Barbie car.
Tyler in hot pursuit with Barbie doll, aggitated.
Carsteyn back west again, still with car.
Tyler bring up the rear, still with doll.
We finally got Carsteyn to stop the car and Tyler plunked Barbie in the seat, and all is right with the world.
MJR to Kristy, Tyler's mom: "We've got a rule follower! See all he wanted to do was ensure that the car had a driver, order is restored! He'll be a police man when he grows up!

Our first Thanksgiving, sadly, this is the only pic of the two of us.

1 comment: