Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Odds, Ends, and Head shots

You know…I’m feeling like blog hangover. For weeks and weeks, there was great things to post and big things that are happening, and suddenly it’s all over. The wedding, done. The honeymoon, done. The hype that was all there, over. We were on cloud 9 talking about snorkeling and beaches and sun and suddenly, I’m talking about baking a pumpkin. Serious? What happened here?

This week wasn’t too different than the last. Matt had a good chuckle at me on Monday night. New recipe night. Now, this is a “tradition” that I’ve taken from his mom, that his dad doesn’t like. For those that have been in our house, it’s always been, if it doesn’t work out, we’ll just order pizza. Monday was the most nervous I’d gotten and actually was debating what toppings I’d want. In an attempt to cut back some on my carbs, I made a lasagna with eggplant. I can just about hear the horror in my father’s voice at that idea. So I basically made it the same as the lasagna that I typically make with a few changes and modifications for the eggplant. When I took it out, I was concerned. Matt thought my nervousness was hilarious. I was not amused. I even waited to dish it up until he wasn’t around, who knew how it’d come out of the pan! Verdict: it wasn’t terrible, we didn’t have pizza, glad I only made a 8x8 pan, and I need to quit adding water to things thinking that will make it better. Will it make best meal of the week, no. Will I make it again anytime soon, probably not. However I haven’t given up on eggplant yet.

I did make a pumpkin bread with the cooked pumpkin that I prepared last week. Both of us really enjoyed that. It was so soft and wasn’t too pumpkin-y, we will be making that again. I really do like my bread machine. What a wonderful wedding gift!

We were busy on work levels too this week. Matt worked on efficiencies and goal setting and it was a week of training for me. I went to Bismarck on Wednesday for some Unemployment Insurance training and then had a Labor Market Information training on Thursday in Dickinson. This was my first BIG training session in Dickinson, I had an employer session last month but not as widespread as this option.

We had a bit of a scramble on Thursday night. Matt called me at 2.
MJR: I’ve been interviewed by a magazine, I need a head shot.
ALR: OK. Makes sense.
MJR: By tomorrow.
ALR: WHAT?
MJR: So can you take care of that?
ALR: WHAT?
So I did. Here I found myself on Thursday, helping him pic out his outfit, pulling lint rollers and the iron, and then talking with the photographer who I was able to line up at the last moment. For around our house as a last minute thing, I was very happy with how they turned out. We went with the local photographer that did our firefighter engagement shots, so they were familiar with the “creative process” that Matt has.
AND for those that thought the mustache was good, this pic and this look is SO much better. You can't deny that and those that will are LIARS!

The weather is changing still…colder at nights, a bit of snow on the ground. I’m not wild about it. I know the precip is needed for this coming year, but I hate to see Matt stress over it. I hate to think about it myself. We do have the association to shovel our driveways and I do get to park in the garage, so it does take some of the cold out. I’m not looking forward to the blizzards and dumps that are bound to happen. I keep thinking of Janice’s comment, “It never snows in Dickinson”. What a liar.

Best meal: BLT’s…there’s something wonderfully simple about a good BLT. I added avocado to mine and left out the dressing, and Matt made a SUPER BLT (double lettuce, double tomato, and triple bacon).

ALR (reading in bed): Hey, can you look at this? Would you recognize French?
MJR (rolls over): Yeah.
ALR hands book over
MJR: Yes that’s French.
ALR: I know it’s French, I want to know what was said!!
MJR: Oh I don’t know that.

3 comments:

  1. Tell Gomer Pyle to lose the sideburns if he is too henpecked to rock the mustache.

    Uncle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, you are lucky I believe in freedom of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lucky to have you in our family Mandy!!!

    ReplyDelete