Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

HM: Snorkeling and Shopping and Snails

Tuesday morning started out a long time before Tuesday.


Enter Darlene. Now, I remember Darlene for a couple reasons. My grandmother’s name is Darlene, so as soon as she introduced herself, I remembered her name. The other reason I remember Darlene is because she wouldn’t let us forget her.

Scene: Matt and I walking along the line in front of the resort. Sunday.
Darlene: YOHOOOO! Sweeties (Sidenote, everyone on the island, especially women call everyone sweeties)….hello, I saw you come yesterday, we didn’t get to talk. My name is Darlene. Where are you going?
ALR: We were going to orientation. (Informational session that was held the first full day that they were there, talked about tours available, resort options, and then did a basic giveaway.
Darlene: Oh good, me too, walk with me. See I’m your timeshare concierge, I’m Darlene. Where is your timeshare at?
ALR: It was a gift, from a beloved, wonderful, giving, handsome man (some of this might not have been actually said, but was there in spirit) for our wedding.
Darlene: Oh a gift, very nice, sweeties. Walk with me. So you don’t own?
MJR: no. (He doesn’t do well with personalities like Darlene)
Darlene: Oh great, we’ll show you our resort, you love it. Here we’ll get you down to visit with Hank. You tell him that Darlene sent you. That’s me.

Scene: Monday. Matt and I looking at the tour bus with Mr. Thomas
Darlene: Sweeties!!! Are you going on the tour?
ALR: Yes, we are…just getting ready.
Darlene: Remember, me, Darlene?
MJR: of course.
Darlene: Got you down for an appointment right?
ALR: Yes, with Hank, tomorrow.
Darlene: Great!

Scene: Monday evening.
Darlene: Oh I see you two AGAIN! See I change clothes
MJR: we see that.
Darlene: And I came back!
ALR and MJR start walking away.
ALR: Have a good night, Darlene.
Darlene: Don’t forget your appointment tomorrow.
To ALR, MJR: I don’t think we could.

Scene: Tuesday morning, in our room. Phone rings.
MJR: Hello.
    Yes it is.
    Yes we are.
    Yes, we are leaving soon.
(Hangs up)
ALR: Darlene?
MJR sighs

So there we were walking up to the sales office. And who do we see…..DARLENE!
Darlene: Sweeties!! Did you get a phone call?
MJR: yes.
Darlene: That wasn’t me. I just got in a fight with the girl. See I told her that people are on vacation. They need their space. Walk with me. See I said, you can’t call them. So I am so sorry.
ALR smiling because she thinks Darlene is hilarious.

So there we were with Hank, our salesman. Now, Hank has just gotten back from a vacation. He has laryngitis. Which makes our questions and the sales presentation real fun and mostly about drawings. We tour a beautiful room and Hank explains some of the botany around the resort. Because of the situation and what’s going on, Matt and I decide to hold going through with a timeshare, despite the fact that we both are strongly considering it.

From there we had lunch poolside. Although the service had a lot to be desired, the meal was just fine. We started with nachos and Matt had the club sandwich, which he said was the best thing that he had at the resort. I had the fish tacos. We headed up the hill changed into our suit and went snorkeling.

This was my second time snorkeling. My first in Cabo wasn’t what I’d call a complete success. It was interesting and a great time and the sights were amazing….but I struggled to get started and was mentally aware of what I was doing the entire time because of all the people, all the boats, and the yucky waves. This time it was amazingly easy. It was beautiful too…the water was so clear and calm compared to Cabo. This first trip out we saw squid, coral, construction parts and pieces, an octopus, and oodles of fish. It was amazing how far out we got. Past the fishing boats almost out to where the big boats were docked at. I’d say it was ¼ of a mile at least out. On the way back, Matt and I searched for sand dollars and he dove for them. What made me sad is we found a good one and took it back to our room and the next day, we found it missing from our hotel room. Thanks, Maid.

After snorkeling, we headed back into Philipsburg for some shopping. I got Matt his birthday present which was a Breitling knockoff watch. Something he could wear when he wasn’t wearing his wedding watch…something that we could travel with and not fear breaking or missing. He loved it…gyroscope and all.

Best Meal, we had supper at the Greenhouse, which was on the edge of the boardwalk. Great little restaurant, where we were able to take advantage of happy hour 2 for 1 drinks (margaritas and painkillers). We also decided to indulge in the starters and then split a meal….worked out so well. We started with the escargot and the bang bang shrimp….both were so good! Was glad we went forward with the bang bang shrimp. We split the lobster thermidore.

Scene: Leaving the sales shop for the resort
Darlene: Sweeties!!! How was HanK? Did you have a good appointment?
MJR: yes, Darlene.

No comments:

Post a Comment