Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

PA: Tzigane (tsi gahn)

I didn't take my first flight until I was almost 22 - and it was a direct flight to Vegas. Matthew had his when he was 6 months old from England back to America. Len beat us both. She's officially had her first flight... from BIS to PHL. 4:00AM, there we were going through TSA for our 5:00AM flight. I will admit, she handled the flight (and all the following flights) like a professional traveler. She napped a bit from the Minneapolis to Philly lag but took it all in when she was awake, even sat on Grandpa's lap a bit.

We got into Philly at a great time. Matt and I wanted to take Randy and Michele downtown to the Reading Terminal Market - one of our favorite spots in Philly. There is so much to eat and see! I enjoyed Mediterranean Chicken with hummas, rice, and salad. Matt and Michele had Chinese. Randy had a disappointing cheesesteak, It was fun to show them the fish displays and the pizza place and the cannolis. I stated I HAD (no questions, no matter the line's length) to have a Beiler's donut. I've been dreaming of those donuts on a regular basis for a year. I did have a Key Lime and Mocha but my favorite is the Peanut Butter. mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I would go back to Philly just for that donut. Ironically the stand also sells pickles, making my husband happy as well. While Michele was cheese shopping, Matt and I found smoothies - mine was a lemonana (mint lemonade with rosewater) and Matt's was mango-guava-papaya.


After we left the market, we went to check out the Liberty Bell. We also took in the outside of Independence Hall. With that, Michele and Randy headed to Nicholson and Matt, Len, and I strolled around Philly. This free day before heading up to see family was to celebrate our 3 year anniversary.

Matt rediscovered OCP - where he got an Italian sandwich. We also took in Betsy Ross's garden and grave site. We also strolled by Constitution Hall, Dilworth Park, and China Town before going back to the Market for an oyster plate.
I got a craving for a Philly soft pretzel and after some online research thought I found a spot close by. However, after finding it, I realized I got had. The pretzels at the Philly Pretzel Factory are not soft or flavorful or wonderful. They are cheap though. Ugh.

We finished the night with supper at a local place, the Oyster House. This was a cute place with great decor - all over the walls there were decorative oyster plates. On the menu they had raw clams - something Matt and I hadn't had - so we tried them. A half dozen (cherrystone and long necks) in total. And it's something that I can say that I've tried but don't know if I'll order again.We also had a peach gazpacho and grilled octopus. It was nice. Even if we had a tired little distract... she passed out on the way home. Philly was just too much for her.
Best meal: Mediterranean Chicken with smooth hummus, salad, rice, and the follow up of the lemonana... oh wait, maybe the donut was the best meal. mmmmmm.

ALR: Where do you want to take your parents first?
MJR: To show them the fish displays.
ALR: You know not everyone thinks they are beautiful like we do.
MJR with actual surprise on his face: What?

After the first pass with all 5 of us.
ALR: I think we need a map.
Randy: And a seat.
Michele: I could eat here everyday.
MJR like a little kid: I know, right!
Randy: But you'd need a seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment