Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

PA/NYC: How to have a crab boil...

We started Saturday off right...or should I say with a step to the left and a jump to the right!

At 12:00 AM, we were sitting in Chelsea watching the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Chris told us that he used to watch it and occasionally goes now and then. It's not just a movie, it's an experience. The movie plays on the screen, but underneath, the actors act it out, and then there is an interaction between the character lines of the movie and the audience...like a rapport that is in constant cadence. It was like sensory overload. I'd heard about it before and Matt had as well as his mother used to go to it when she was young and wild. 

It was super fun. An experience that I won't forget. We watched the V's do the O's to start off with and we even did the time warp dance right there in the theater. Chris has all the lines down and it was fun to watch some of them play out in timing. 

The movie ended at 2:30, from there Chris took us to Pyramid, which is a little club with not much to offer but a dance floor with lighting and some great 80's music. Matt and I went and took in the scene for a bit. Wasn't your standard NYC night club, but then again, I'm not sure where the stereotypes are built. At a little after 3, we figured we better get back, especially if we wanted to get back to Judy's at a decent time. 

So we went back to Hotel 17, crashed for a couple hours...woke up at 8. And went out in search of New York bagels. Wasn't the best experience but we ended up enjoying them on the church steps outside of the Guatemalan consulate. We headed back to Penn Station, in the rain. I had to get my I heart NY t-shirt, because how else can you be a cool tourist?

We made our train, found our car, got back on the Jersey Turnpike and made our way back to Judy's. We were in New York for barely 24 hours and attempted to take in a week's worth of memories. I don't think we did too bad.

That night we were in for a real treat, Judy put together a crab boil for us. It was amazing. Matt had told me about it before but it was way better than I expected. This may have been my favorite meal of the trip because of the thought that Judy put into it as well as how well it tasted. Along with crab, there was shrimp, corn, pototoes and seasoning. I stuffed myself silly. I was in good company. Judy had Grandpa Dave, Matt's Aunt Dileen, and her three boys over to enjoy as well. This was a good thing because Judy made enough for an entire army!

After dinner, Matt and Joey attempted to fly Judy's kites...a beautiful Butterfly with frills and an see-through real Pegasus kite. They didn't have much luck! We also played croquette. I think I can say, overall I was a consistent winner. I won the first game and got second on the following games. Was fun to play out in the beautiful weather. 

The night ended around the firepit. Was such a fun day. 

Judy to Patrick: You need to go through this book and look for the crab boil recipe.
ALR watching.
Judy: Oh, I knew I should have found it ahead of time!
Pat goes through pages.
Judy looks up worried.
Pat: It's not in this book.
Judy look up worried: Well look in the back of it!
ALR: Yeah, Matt wants a copy of it too when we find it.
Judy looks at Pat: You better find that recipe, Matt's bigger than you are!
Outside door opens.
MJR's voice: Need any help?
Pat: Here it is!
Judy: Lucky for you!!!
ALR laughs
MJR: I don't get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment