Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2015

PA: How to have one last Hoorah in Philly...

Wednesday morning started out a bit differently than the other days. Matt was
very busy with sessions all Wednesday so I knew I wouldn't get much time to see him. I started the day on a very high note, I went into Reading Terminal Market and grabbed a spearmint tea and made my way to the Dutch/Amish corner. I'd been staring at the donuts for awhile now and got a peanut butter cream. Best donut I've ever had in my life. I also meandered through the Amish items and chose a few to take home (popcorn for popping, sandwich spread, and an Amish Cookbook).

From there, Jon and Kim joined me and we wandered around and eventually had lunch, Matt joined us for that. We all split up. Kim had turkey dinner, I had a caprese grilled cheese, Matt had a corned beef sandwich, and Jon had a Philly Cheese Steak. From there we did some more wandering and ended the meal with cookies.
Now I had had the plan to get on the Big Bus Tour and wander around Philly but Jon and Kim decided to join me! HOW fun! You know you have good friends when you can spend an afternoon together, without the person that introduced you in the first place! We got a quick overview of Philly and it's history. The only hiccup in our plan was at the Ben Franklin Institute. They made a quick stop and when they did, antifreeze poured out! Like it was a scene in Ghost Busters!
After a brief debussing and a slight walkabout, we got back on for more of the ride. Was fun to see the statues and hear about how the city was organized and grew. I love that they claim to be a city in a park versus a park in a city and their green space all combined is larger than New York's Central Park. I think I could go back there and explore more. See the prison, the modern art museum, the audio halls, eat in more restaurants. 
We got off to have a drink at an Irish Pub close to old town and get out of the sun. All in all, it was a good trip to see the final visions of Philly on Wednesday. It was an amazing trip for me, and despite Matt working, we made the best of it. I don't know if I can say my favorite part or favorite meal. There are ones that stand out...Judy's crab boil, NYC pizza, my donut, Dandelion-the English Pub....and there are experiences that stand out too with both family and friends. Was good to get away.
We ended the trip with the AAAE's banquet. This banquet was similar to UMAS's banquet in the spring. Dinner was three courses. Salad, rice risotto cake with mushrooms, and pot roast with potatoes and vegetables. Dessert took on a life of its own as the next year conference holder is responsible. We had candied nuts and astronaut ice cream. Was a good excuse to dress up but a good end to remind us that we were ready to go home.

Quotes from the bus tour:Random rider: So, bus is dead?
Tour guide: well......


Kim: Where does the modern art end?
Jon: Yeah, is that road cone modern art?
ALR: Yes, it's the symbolism of construction slowly enveloping urban life.
Kim: Oh, that's good!
ALR: I know, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment