Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

How to Captain the Love Boat...

As you read this, I realize I'm lightyears behind on blog activities. I sure there have been many tsks in my general direction and my three very solid readers have become disappointed in me. It's hard to have an audience that appreciates my weekly and weakly musings!

So on with our life. We had our maiden voyage with the Love Boat. We dropped her in, took a couple spins around the lake...fishing poll and all and even enjoyed a few beverages. We went out about three more times that week. Matt even had a good run with the fishing....he caught two. A bluegill and a bass. Unless they are Northern or walleye though, they have to be returned due to our age! We've officially used the lake as much as we've used the pool at Hillside. I guess we are more lake people. Helps that the weather is beautiful and is fun to cruise around a bit.

We got the garden in as well as some additional pots. In total we have our herbs (dill, fennel, basil, purple basil, thyme, oregano, and mint) and our vegetables (tomatoes, pumpkins, cucumbers, peppers, peas, beans, radish, cabbage, lettuce, kohlrabi, and onions). Shoutout to my mother who supplied some of the plants as we were in need. Our attempts to grow in seeds was almost a complete failure. The only thing that really seemed to take off was the pumpkins. Time will tell.  I will say that Matt did a really great job on the beds, building them, filling them, and also putting together the grand plan for the layout of the beds. We had many discussions on what we wanted to plant and where we should put the beds and how this was going to work. This year will be a learning year by far.  
 He's also been very into the yard this year, because he finally has grass and a lawn. Hillside's house had a beautiful garden and patio, but now we have grass and that needs to be mowed, air-rated, fluffed, watered, fertilized, and spent all sorts of money on. If I hear one more, "I need ______ for the lawn." I may scream. Wait, that was four "I needs" ago. At least it's keeping him occupied and happy.
We have one worry with the garden. One night, Nike was looking outside and spotted it. A bunny, aka the wrecker of my hopes of a garden. Due to this, we ended up putting up a fence to keep the little varmint out. I'll let you know how that goes. So far so good. I wouldn't have been really concerned but this aint no baby cottontail. This guy looks HUGE!

ALR: So we are just planting things? We aren't putting in end rows and strings and what not?
MJR: No, we are following the schematic that we previously decided. Don't you remember that we did that?
ALR: (Sighs) YES, I remember. But what if I can't remember where we plant things.
MJR: Then you LOOK at the SCHEMATIC.
ALR: I'll schematic you!
MJR: I don't know why you are being so difficult? Ahh, what are you doing??
ALR: I'm planting these plants here.
MJR: Pumpkins do not go there! PAY ATTENTION TO THE SCHEMATIC! I don't know why we garden together. 
ALR: I'm beginning to wonder too!

1 comment: