Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Date, Race, and Paint

Another week closer to summer….one can hope. I actually went out into the yard to search for signs of spring. I found a few. I was hopeful…that is until the next morning when I heard the icy/snow hitting the windows. I was just glad that I had got my plants brought in. My mom and I went specifically hunting for those plants to make my front deck more appealing and fun. I’m excited for spring and want it to actually happen so I can get the plants in and going.
Matt and I had an impromptu date night on Friday night. If we couldn’t sit on the patio and talk about life, we decided to go for a drink out and distress from the week. Once we heard the specials, we knew we were in trouble. I had the baked trout which has officially found its way into my top 5 fish list and Matt had the shark. My trout had just come from Scotland and it made me want to book the trip now. We had a few drinks and some great conversation to wind down a busy, stressful work week.

On Saturday we took things pretty slow. We had to prep for the Kentucky Derby. Next year we are hoping to do it right with a party, especially since we enjoyed the preliminary events that led up to it. Matt made mint juleps. I organized the betting. I didn’t do so hot. I bet on Danza with Wicked Strong and Candy Boy in my trifecta. Matt bet on California Chrome, Wicked Strong, and Danza. Matt’s bets paid off as he managed to get his all in the superfecta. Sigh. Maybe next year. Good thing the saving grace was the mint julep.
Matt also had a big day on Saturday as he caught the first Remynse fish of the year. I’m sure Randy and Michele will eventually outfish us…but as of right now, Matt’s got 1 up on them. His fish made the perfect appetizer for pizza.

Sunday was the day that I got busy…I finally got to painting the bathroom that I’ve been concentrating on since we were able to take the wallpaper down last June. I was really on a role until I ran out of paint. Then I had to watch the hockey playoffs, that seem to go on forever.

Best meal: Date night fish and shark. Not only was the food amazing but when you have some good conversation too, that just adds. We also cooked up some Elk steaks that had been given to us, that was a pleasant surprise and was much better than I expected.
MJR: (Looking outside at Patio) You are really getting desperate.
ALR Sadly: I am.
(Patio chairs and table have been returned to their respective place for summer time enjoyment)
 
ALR: watching Matt dig in the linen closet.
ALR: Hey, I'm leaving for Bismarck. What kind of bourbon do you want me to pick up?
MJR: (Gasps) You can't just ask a guy a question like that.
ALR: Serious?
MJR: It's not for making a snap decision.
ALR: Okay, I'm going to go make a coffee while you soak into the question.

In honor of two of the most important women in our lives....Happy Mother's Day. We don't want to even think of where we'd be without your guiding words and supportive thoughts. You've been there when we've wanted you and even when we didn't know we did...and that's the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment