Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Parents!!!!

One of my new favorite things.
If it weren’t for parents, I wouldn’t be here and even if I got by that magical rule someone, I’d still be moving! Matt and I were lucky enough to get both sets of our parents out. Randy and Michele and Dad hadn’t been out yet so it was their first time to see our new place but Mom was crazy enough to come out the second time after we worked her fingers to the bone the time before!

We got right to work even before 5:00. For a couple reasons, our power was shut off because we thought we’d be out by that point, but due to me being sick, that didn’t exactly happen. The shut off wouldn’t have been terrible if we didn’t have 2 freezers of meat still in the basement, and watch me freak out, all I could envision was this meat rapidly defrosting and we’d have to cook ALL of it on Saturday. AHHHH! I wasn’t too happy about it, but surprisingly, they moved over verily decent. We got Matt’s over first and sorted, which needed to be done and then we took mine over. From there, we took another load and sat down with all of our parents for dinner.

Saturday started kinda bright and early, and got brighter later because the men installed the chandelier I’ve been DIEING to put in! The update looks so good and it’s amazingly bright. From there we headed over to Park Avenue, Mom and I got to cleaning while loads were being hauled out. Matt did clean his fridge as it gave me the heebeegeebees. We got everything out and cleaned in time for a late lunch. While we got everything back in and sorted, the Dads-of-the-year put together our house warming gift that Michele and Randy picked out for us. I thought I loved my patio before, holy crap, it practically pleads for me to come out there now! Mom was wonderful on the spot jobs while Michele took on the closets, I’ll admit she may have had the worst job of the day, she painted both the coat closet and finished up the Master bath closet. By the time I put my parents in the car and sent them home, we had the kitchen pretty much done, the patio in good shape, my bedroom a complete chaos, the den and other rooms in pretty good shape, and a truck waiting to go to the dump.

Sunday was a bit more relaxing. I slept until 9 and was glad as sleeping has been a bit tougher with being sick. I hope to get my voice back sometime this week! But we enjoyed breakfast, put together the past closet so I could start organizing and sorting, swapped out the shut off valves in the master bath, and did a bit more cleaning. They got to watch a bit of the US Open before taking off and leaving Matt to watch and grit his teeth on his own, same as the last Stanley Cup Finals game.

Either way, we ended up Sunday in a completely unexpected way. We found ourselves playing in the mud and maybe after 3 weeks of pushing and spreading ourselves a bit thin, it’s what we needed. We technically weren’t supposed to close until June 12th…so we are ahead of our own game but we have been living in 2 places and spreading ourselves very thin and “living” in two places, so when we decided it was time to do a bit of gardening, it was a bit of a treat to start playing “home” finally. I wanted tomatoes and he wanted beans and mom brought us preplanted jalapenos. So we had previously picked out my tomato plant variety and his bean plant variety. I picked out Super Fabulous, for obvious reasons. I also planted a few flowers for the front and a few hanging baskets for around and we still have two pots that we need to find filler for. Felt a little grown-up attempting to figure out how to garden and buying tomato stands and all, a boring grown-up all the same, but I’ll take what I can get.

Was great to see both Dads for Father’s Day weekend, same as seeing both Moms for Mother’s Day weekend, couldn’t have planned that out better if I wanted. Ironically on the day of, I think both were happy doing something that made them smile. Randy was enjoying the US Open and when I called my dad, he was “hauling shit”. And seemed to be glad that it was going well! Oh Matt and I have such diverse backgrounds!
 
Best meal: Matt’s been on a grilling kick and it’s a continual benefit to me, 1. Because he will cook and 2. Because he’s so good at it. My favorite was Sunday night’s dinner. We had ribeye steaks and shrimp scampi sitting out on the patio enjoying our chairs, looking at our garden, and feeling relieved to have moved.

Reviewing some items in a room, left by the previous owner
MJR: Are we keeping this? (Holding item up)
ALM: I hate to throw it away. Especially since we have such little counter space in these bathrooms.
MJR: Well I don't think it will give us any more specific room.
ALM: Hold up, do you know what that is?
MJR: It's a toothbrush and towel holder.
ALM: (giggling)
ALM: No, honey, it's not (more giggling). It's a something for your blowdryer and your curling iron and/or straightner. See, this is where the blowdryer goes and the straightner goes here.
MJR: (staring)
ALM: (giggling)
MJR: That is ridiculous.
                               82 days

No comments:

Post a Comment