Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

It's the End of the Year, As We Know It...

New Year’s Eve/Day are always particular points for me. I hate to use the word bittersweet so maybe nostalgic or hopeful. It’s a time to reflect on the previous year’s happenings and anticipate the coming year’s.


Here are some highlights from 2012.

1. Chicago: Matt and I’s June trip to the Windy City and seeing Wrigley, the museums and the Lincoln Zoo, Willis Tower, and the culinary fun of pizza, hot dogs, and Greek food.

2. Monterey: Matt and I traveled to California to sightsee and be with some family. Kevin and Jason and Sara were amazing hosts and it was too short of a trip. We celebrated our birthdays too.

3. Bought my condo: After picking out colors, countertops, and floors, was finally able to close and move in in May.

4. Sold my condo: After loving the spacious ceilings, the walk-in closets, the multiple bathrooms, the attached garage, and the feel of new, I sold the condo in November. It was on the market for 30 days.

5. Moved to Dickinson/Moved in with Matt: We finally decided it was time. We picked out a lovely storage unit to handle our overflow and moved our belongings and our cats together. This has been a big adjustment, sometimes hard because of the house and space and the fact that we’ve both been on our own for 10 years, however, the fact that we see each other on a daily basis, we get to argue about what to put on the walls, I wake up to him (and his bed hog ways) and get to fall asleep (defending by ¼ of the bed) each night makes the past year of driving back and forth seem so worth it.

6. Changed Jobs: I put my notice in at KK and took a job at Job Service. What a change!! Private to Government sector. Industry change which meant completely different work styles, co-worker styles, and job deliverables. I went from a job where one of my co-workers had a collection of Mr. Potato heads to a position where we talk about social services projects and veteran’s preferences. I admit, I miss the creative sessions and seeing what came out but I like what I do and the diversity of what happens every day and I have a great group of co-workers.

7. Matt’s work growth: The airport has continued to grow and Matt’s days have become stressful. However I’m proud of what he’s accomplished during his time there, and I’m not the only one who noticed, I was so proud to see Matt accept his award for Airport of the Year. I remember when we started dating, when he took me on a tour of the unfinished terminal, he told me that he was going to make Airport of the Year, without a doubt in his voice.

And the big news:

8. Matt and I became engaged. These past seven items have all changed my year but I know this event will change my life. We’ve been making lists and planning the wedding and planning our life. There are days where reality settles in and I realize we are talking about forever and there are days that the wedding feels 900 light years away. All I know is that from here, we are exactly 250 days from the big day and I can’t wait to marry him. We have a hall and bridesmaids and colors and all that stuff, but most importantly, we have the support of our family, both of our families, to be exact. And this support makes me feel pretty awesome and has added another layer of fun to the planning process.

All in all, 2012 has been pretty amazing for Matt and I, I’m excited for what 2013 brings but if it had a movie trailer, I know there would be a wedding and some parties hopefully some traveling and a lot of family.

Best meals of the year: Ironically when I think back to the meals that stood out, it wasn’t so much what was served but the context that we had them. They include our surf and turf for Valentine’s Day, our Chicago dogs, our Greek town meal, our dinner at the Chop House, fondueing on Christmas Day, making ribs at the farm, homemade pizzas at the Remynse’s, and our camping cook-offs. Yes, I love food, but I love the experience that food provides including the conversation and the camaraderie.

“Some meals are worth doing your own dishes.” – ALM

No comments:

Post a Comment