Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Final and Final Final Christmas


The last two Christmas’s were lowkey, just like the first. We spent Christmas Day at the Farm with my parents and sister and her boyfriend Robert. We woke up; Matt went out and helped my dad with chores, again. He could have been employee of the month with the help he put in. We then had Christmas bread from Grandmas Elaine and opened presents. Matt and I had gotten our present from Mom and Dad earlier so I wasn’t expecting anything but Mom wasn’t having that she still had presents for me under the tree and much to Matt’s dismay she also got me non-electrical string lights for the camper! Can it be camping season yet?

It was a blast to watch the family open presents including Alaina open up the snake skin purse that I got her, Dad open the windsock I got him and the “files” that Matt got him and Mom open up her sparkle tank and her compost bucket. And as much as I like the present opening, the next part is my favorite, the fondueing. I look forward to it every year. We started this tradition 4 or 5 Christmas’s ago and it’s continued to grow. This year’s creations included homemade corn dogs, tator tots, and premade onion rings. Not only does the food taste good but it’s so slow paced and I love how my father gets into it.

The biggest difference of this year compared to the past was the addition of the boys. Dad finally had an even playing field with Robert and it was nice to see how everyone got along and interacted and visited. We covered a wide range of discussion points from drink prices in the 80’s to cars and on and on. I do have to admit online, and have admitted vocally, that Robert has been a nice addition to the group and has been great to/with/for Alaina. I did have to laugh when he couldn’t believe that she wore his good coat out to bareback on her horses…welcome to the club. It was such a wonderful day, wish it could have been longer and wish we didn’t have to get back to Dickinson and wish the snow wouldn’t have blown over the road a bit.

On the drive home, I did reflect on the entire Christmas weekend and all the people, in all the houses, and all the food and it actually brought tears to my eyes. There have been some lows in my life but when I look at where I am at and all these people that are there to share my life and theirs with me, I can’t believe the high I’m on.
Matt and I ended the night at our house. We opened our presents and he finally got the goose blind that I’d been making him wait to get. I had him fooled, he DID not think he was getting that. I’d been keeping that one pretty close to my chest. Was glad to see the surprise and the smile. He surprised me too, I got a milk frother to make lattes and for the second year in a row, Mom copy-catted him and they both got me a pastry cloth. He did one up her and I got a French rolling pin, I’m excited to see how to use it, especially on reading the advantages to it versus the standard pins. So I drank my frothed coffee while we set up his blinds with the cats played inside it. We watched the Hunger Games and went to bed. You may have even heard my sigh of relief when I hit the sheets.

Best meal: Fondueing always wins. I think my favorite combination is still the hot dog wrapped in bread dough and dipped into the cheese!

“That was pretty good; especially considering it was a corn dog.” – Dad after putting chocolate on what he thought was a piece of plain fried dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment