Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Farewell July!

Beginning of August and I got to admit although some have complained about this summer's heat, the only complaint I have is when I see my energy bill. I'm loving the summer and the sun. I've even got some light tan lines, which isn't always easy for me.

With the start of August we say good-bye to the Fair in July. It was a record breaking year for attendance and concerts but it felt good to see everything come to completion. I did spend a day up there with a camera guy, a golf cart, and a pile of permission wavers. Being there did remind me of the good ol' days at the fair with a couple cows and a camper in the lower lot. What a great experience for my parents to give me and I look back with such a fond nostalgia. Aside from the memories, my other favorite fair thing is the food. We recorded a bunch of it made but I was a bit disappointed to not have enough time to sample my favorites. I also was excited to see a friendly face show up too! Aunt Grace and Aaron were up for the day and for the concert. I even saw Aaron while I was at the concert. I couldn't get him behind the stage with me but we could visit and I tried to get him a good pic.

Despite getting home late, we took off early the next morning to Fargo to spend some time with Jani and Jerry. It was so good to see them and catch up a bit. We even had a few drinks. Matt played bartender for Jani and him. Jani was very happy that they enjoy the same gin!

Only downfall of the week was the call that I got at 11:00 on Monday night. Matt's mom, Michele, took a fall from the attic. She shattered her scapula/shoulder blade and also did some damage to her neck. Talk about a scare, I know Matt was nervous and anxious to hear updates and good news and when things like this happen it's apparent that Dickinson may be too far away. She has some serious recovery time ahead of her and she and Randy are in our thoughts. I do have to admit getting/dragging info out of Matt can sometimes drive me crazy. We'll work on that!

I have an addition to last week's blog. Someone was very upset that I didn't include "his" cat in the "cat update". I hated to remind him that I update on the cats that I live with but I'll give him this one.
Nike: the bruiser. She is continuing to beat things up; the neighborhood box, her water fountain, the neighborhood cats, the rhubarb next door, and her self-cleaning litter box.

7-28
ALM: I met the sweetest guy who is headoverheels with his wife at the fair. He went on and on and on about her but what killed me is how he started it. "I met her on a Thursday and by Saturday I knew she was the one and that was 39 years ago."
MJR: I met you on a Friday.
ALM: That's because the city meeting was always held on a Friday.
MJR: But I remember that it was a Friday.
ALM: I don't think you get the point of the story.
MJR: I did, I met YOU on a Friday.
ALM: (sigh) (eyes rolling)

Best meal: Cannelloni at the Speak Easy, which is Jani's favorite place. I also enjoyed Matt's seafood pasta, which I was glad he shared. We also took in the martini menu and I had the dirty monkey martini!

"The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together." -Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment