Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Big Questions, Easy Answers.

It’s funny how 4 words can change your life.

We met on a Friday but we got engaged on a Thursday. It’s true. I still look back on that moment and it still gives me stomach butterflies. We were baling for my dad and I blew a baring and the baler started smoking. We took it over to the neighbors with mom and dad to put it out. We decided that the bale from the field needed to be pulled, so Matt and I decided to head back over to point it out to Ray, who was pulling the bale with the loader tractor.

At this point, I need to mention that conversation that we had been having. We’d been talking about friends, relationships, and timelines. I made some comment about “if I get married but then corrected myself, WHEN I get married, because I will, I just don’t know who yet.” Well, Matthew James took this as a cue to ask about my timeline and what I had planned for in life. I told him that I wouldn’t play ball, he couldn’t know my timeline because that’s not how it’s done. He said, I think I’ll fit in your timeline and dropped the ring on the counsel in the middle of his truck in the middle of the “bucholtz”, “curve” field, surrounded by freshly baled oats bales that we had just made just across the fence from my father’s herd.

I won’t lie, I sat there stammering and stunned. I wasn’t expecting it and he said that he was going to wait to do it tomorrow but he was excited and this felt right. I did have to ask if he was serious and with a few tears, I said gave him the answer he wanted to hear and he shakingly slipped the ring on my finger.

“Yes.” –Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment