Pages

Friday, May 11, 2018

The Two Year Old

To my Eleanor -

To the newest two year old on the block - I love you. You may throw food, throw fits, pick your nose, put your shoes on the wrong feet, slam my hand in your drawer, bite my shoulder, bite my arm, pull my hair, make me sleep on the floor, wipe your face on me... but it's so easily forgotten when you pull me to sit by you, when you hug me in the morning with your sleepy head of hair and your footie pajamas, when we talk each night about how much mama loves you, when you are quick with your hugs and easy with your kisses. 

Before you were born, I made a comment to your father about your astrological sign - I said that you were a Taurus and they are known for their feistiness and stubbornness. He scoffed at me and said he didn't belief in that rubbish. I haven't asked him since if he thinks there's something to it. I look at you and would describe you as a spirit similar to that of a firecracker and a wrecking ball. You have a strong will and a zest that will conquer the world.

As you turn two I reflect back on the year and realize how you have come into your own with independence... you went from walking with that stumbly step to running and now jumping and kicking. You know what you what and that is your best and worst attribute. You are now talking with words and phrases which is light years away from the grunts and gestures that you were a year ago. Your father continue to be amazed at how you are growing into your face and personality and I'm amazed at how you are continuing to change our world.

I love you, little girl, and every night when we get ready for bed we talk about it. I know you may not remember these nights when you are old but I will remember sitting in that rocking chair with your two blankets (ALWAYS two) and picking out two stories (always two) and then talking and cuddling for minutes before we tuck you in. I know I will remember that because I still remember rocking you as a baby and watching your hair flutter and listening to you sighing yourself to sleep. You are growing up and I'm trying to walk that thin line of letting you and being okay with it and holding tight to that little baby that I waited so long to come into my world.

Continue to bloom.

Oh, my Eleanor, do you know that mama loves you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment