Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

England, Day 1, We need to talk

one day in November
MJR: tonight, we need to talk
ALR: nuh-uh...nope.. we aren't do that. If you want to talk, we are doing it now. I hate when people say they need to talk and then make you sit and wonder and wait through the whole day.
MJR: okay, Allegiant has tickets to Phoenix for March for $100 one way. I think we should get them and go see the Cubs at spring training.
ALR lets out a long breath.
ALR: Are you outta your mind?! We had a baby a couple months ago. We will have both babies in daycare at that time, Grady will be tiny. We have no money because it's all going to daycare - Are you fricken crazy???
Fast forward to mid February
ALR: we need to talk
MJR: where do you want to go
ALR: I want to go to England to the Royal Wedding

That wasn't where the conversation ended, but it's where I thought it would end. After he told me that I'd need an invite, I told him that I didn't expect to waltz right in but the experience of England during that time was something that we'd never forget. He said we'd talk that night and I thought it was a done deal and to be honest, that was okay. I didn't think it was realistic or right to even attempt it. We'd been talking for the past couple years of going to England at our 5th wedding anniversary OR our 40th birthday. When Grady arrived, it was mutually understood that we'd be going later than sooner. When I gone home that night, he actually wanted to talk about it. I think I may have mentioned things like 6th in line for the crown, last of Diana's boys, the People's Prince, Harry is a favorite, she's an American, we've watched Suits for the past couple years... but I wasn't saying it to convince him... I was just telling him why the idea intrigued me. Suddenly there he was convincing me of this once in a lifetime possibility and it's something that he wanted me to see.

Within a week or two, we had plane tickets. We had airbnbs booked... both in Maidenhead and London - in case one was a dive, we had something to go to instead. We started talking about things we wanted to do and see. We called Pinkerton's and asked if we could keep our vehicle at their place - even invited them on our adult getaway (more on that later). Then came the golf talk.

MJR: I want to golf a true links course.
ALR: I want to meet the queen of England.
MJR: No, I'm serious.
ALR: Okay, where are they.
MJR They are on the coasts due to the topography of the land and the inability to use it for purposes of development and agriculture.
ALR stares.
ALR: You know we are in the center of the country? Right?
MJR: Right - well I was thinking you could come with me.
ALR: I don't want to walk a course... how much is it going to cost?
MJR: Well, the green fees, then the car to get there, renting the clubs, meals, and I'll have to tip the caddy.
ALR: Caddy! This sounds expensive. I don't think so.
ALR walks away.
ALR suddenly realizes that her MJR is willing to go to England for a potential 2 minute royal sighting when they ride by in a carriage.
ALR realizes that they are in England and for the day that he goes to golf there are a million and 1 things that she can do.
ALR suddenly feels very stupid and the worst wife in the world.
ALR to MJR: book your golf, I think you should
MJR doesn't ask any questions, until later.

So then the planning became real. We talked locations, tours, food, car rentals, public transportation, cell service. We talked to Michele, who said she'd come stay with the kids while we were away. And then one day, we finally finished packing, said a tearful (for one of us) good bye to the kids and left. We drove to Minneapolis - ate lunch at Kramarczuk's, a favorite of ours, before dropping our vehicle off at Pinkerton's and heading to the airport.

The flight was 8 hours and the worst non-sleeping time every. We had Delta comfort seats, but that didn't mean we were totally comfortable. We left on a Wednesday and arrived on a Thursday.

Lunch:
Cherry and Duck Sausage for Matt with pierogis and I had a krawkowska (garlic ham sausage, harvarti, lettuce, tomato, and pickle on caraway rye - signature sandwich) with a cold beet salad. Cheesecake cookies for dessert, that I shared with Oliver.


Dinner on the airplane
Matt had the vegetable ravioli and I had the chicken with roasted vegetables. I think we both agree that the best part of the meal was the cheese and fruit plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment