Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2013

CHRISTMAS

Here’s the thing about Christmas. I want more. I want more family. I want more fireplaces. I want more time. What a beautiful time. I saw the perfect sum it all up picture on facebook this past month….As you grow older your Christmas list gets smaller and the things you really want for the holidays can’t be bought. It was hard to come up with a list for Matt and I this year, we did and there are other things that we’d like or think we need but what I’d really like is an extra camping trip with Michele and Randy, a weekend we could get away to help my parents, a trip to Arizona to see Janice, another wedding, just to get the family in one place again…these are the things I’d like. I would like happiness and stressfree days at work for Matt. I would like us/me to have unlimited vacation days to take a trip with him. I would like new windows for the house and a driveway that shovels itself. There are this things and a few more that can’t go on a Christmas list. But all in all, I have a wonderful life filled with love and family and I’m lucky.

So back to the week of Christmas. We started it off at the Dagman Christmas at Merri’s house. It was a very full house only a handful of people weren’t able to make it. It hasn’t been that full for a bit of time. It’s amazing to see the third generation really taking off. It really is amazing to see how the family has grown so big yet makes it a priority to still come together once a year.
The next day, we had the traditional Moser Ranch Christmas. The day started with Matt and Dad doing chores, followed by opening of presents, and then we heat up the fondue pots and have the meal that lasts hours. Presents was amazing, my family spoils! I don’t know who’s worse, Alaina, my parents, or Matt’s parents. We got some of the things on our list and so many more. I liked the fondueing. We’ve really taken oil fondue to a science. My favorite is the dough with any of the meats. We also added 2 types of cheese this year; smoked gouda and cheddar, and finished it off with chocolate. What a great meal. I look forward to it every year.
On Christmas Eve, we took off for Lansford. We ate a snack when we got there of appetizers but forced ourselves to quit when we realized that Randy was making pizza that night. Matt hadn’t been home for Christmas for a few years because of his position so it was nice to see him excited to be home. He even got his dream of a real tree to come true. Randy and Michele had one waiting to decorate. It was a very pretty real tree. Looked like a Christmas card. They can keep it. I don’t miss the needles and the wet presents and it’s bad enough Nike eats the fake tree, but when she eats the real tree, the needles get all over, even more. But it was beautiful at their house.
           
 The next morning we were pestered awake by the parents who couldn’t stand it even more. Michele even cheated and opened a present before we came down the stairs. We had to tell her she couldn’t shake her presents either. Which did stall her back a bit, she only lifted it then, weight check. After presents, we enjoyed a great egg/fruit breakfast bake that Michele made, it was very good. I actually had to force myself to quit eating because I remembered we were to enjoy Matt’s smoked brisket with gouda mac n’cheese, coleslaw, and squash soup. I ate too much. I thought I was going to explode.
The drive home was long but we rewarded ourselves with our final presents to ourselves when we finally got settled in. It was a beautiful first Christmas together.

Best meal: seriously. Don’t make me. Between the fondue, Randy’s pizza, the brisket, the breakfast egg/fruit/cheese thing…it was a week of amazing meals, the type you do wait all year for.

MJR: What was your favorite present?
ALR: The smoker.
MJR: No, what was your favorite present that you got?
ALR: Oh. That’s a tough one.
MJR: Why did you say the smoker?
ALR: Because even though it’s yours, it’s really me that benefits. You are already planning ribs and salmon and all my favorite things. Are you sure it’s not for me?
MJR: I see your point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment