Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Preparation

Twas the week before Christmas….and it’s one of those years where I’m feeling Christmas’y and potentially ready. We have the tree up, the stockings hung, decorations around the house, some baking done, and finally some presents wrapped. I made bags for my co-workers and Matt's employees at the airport, they included some pumpkin cookies, banana bread, caramel corn, and a bit of jerky. Was so nice to hear the nice things they said about the gifts. Present wrapping may be the hardest thing I’ve had to do as a husband/wife. Matt agreed to help me since I was getting behind and while it was very sweet that he offered, I should have realized that it’s the thought that counts and thanked him and went on my merry way. See, here’s what most people don’t realize. After a few years of working on wrapping presents myself, I have developed a system and I’m also particular about my wrapping. I think a beautifully wrapped present says something. Now here is the disclaimer, Matt wrapped a good portion of the presents and to those that open them, do not judge us. And I’m sorry. There I sat, watching one of the most capable, intelligent men/people I know, argue with a sheet of snowman paper with tape on his nose and tape all around his hand because within 5 minute of getting the wrapping tape, he had broken the dispenser. After the first present, we had to have tutorial on how best to wrap a present. Eventually, we worked out a better system. I cut the paper and handed it to him with the present ready. Yes, we got it all finished. And yes, I love him. And no, I didn’t kill him off with the scissors. But yes, I did think about a slight maiming.

ALR: Stop!
ALR: AHHH, when I said, Stop, do you think I really said, keep going and add as much tape as possible in the shortest amount of time?
MJR: I was almost done.
ALR: Almost done with what? Wrapping to the point of no return where I can’t fix it?
MJR: It needed reinforcement.
ALR: It did not need reinforcement, I gave you the proper amount of paper to wrap that box.
MJR: You’d think for a novice like me, you’d provide more paper so I can better do the job.
ALR: I don’t think the amount of paper is our issue.

Lola doesn't seem impressed
Other things that went on this past week, Matt had another great win and game for his hockey team. He has been working on his skating and stopping. We found an outdoor rink close by our house. He finally got his jersey! Looking forward to seeing him play in it. They are gunning for the championship, that’s for sure.

Matt’s had a stressful week at work. Winter is his hardest season and this one has been unique because of the airline situation that was reported by the press. I’ve heard comments that he articulated the problem well, but it’s still a problem that he’s been dealing with on both ends. Then to add to the week, a plane aborted their take off and crashed on the airfield. No one was injured and it was learning experience that won’t be forgotten. The hard part was that the crash forced the airport closed until they could move the private jet into the safe space for other airlines to begin using the runway again, which meant cancelled flights. Matt came home at 4:30 on Friday night/Saturday morning after a long night on the airfield. It was one of those weeks where I wish I could shoulder some of the stress that he acquired.

We did weigh the cats this weekend; Lola came out at 14 pounds, which is consistent. TonyDanza was also at 14 pounds, which meant that he has lost a bit. Nike was a whooping 18, which means she’s fat or as Matt would say, she’s solid.
Best meal: We had our first set of steaks from our new beef. Matt was excited when we opened them and with the weather breaking for a bit for the grill to come out, it turned out great.

Things yelled by ALR since Dec 8 (the day we put the tree up):
Quit eating the tree! Quit it right now!
Why is there an ornament here?
Quit! Quit playing with that!
Take one more bite, I dare you!
Stop that, you are ruining the Christmas spirit!
That is a Christmas tree not an ambush hold!
No fighting under the tree!
Nike! You quit that!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


Here is a picture of the new bed that I bought Nike, in an attempt to 1. Make her a bit happier about the Christmas tree 2. Make her feel cozier on the bed 3. Have her quit shedding all over the bed. I don't consider this purchase a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment