Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

In like a ???

I’m looking out my window at the snow that is covering the ground and am thinking of spring. It’s been a decent winter, we’ve had the snow-melt cycle that’s been working for us here but I will say, I hate the ice that is a result of this pattern. But the snow keeps coming, boo. March always makes me wonder, it’s close enough to spring to be hopefully but usually produce the wettest/biggest storms.

This past weekend we spent away from home. We went to Bismarck so we could support Janice at Jerry’s father’s funeral. I wish that I could have been closer to her this week as I know it was hard for her as Jerry flew in at the last moment and funeral planning for Stan was very trying. The frustration in her voice was obvious to me and it made me hurt that she hurt. She also informed me that she wants to die in a quiet way and her funeral to match. I think we’ll stick with her original plan of sticking her in the front porch swing with a bottle of gin, with a ton of ice, and a beverage napkin. When we showed up in Fessenden, she was so glad, but how I knew that she appreciated it was when our troop (Grandma, Descie, Grace, Mom, Matt and I) went to leave, she hugged me so tight and said thank you and said, I have the best family in the whole world as she had tears in her voice.

The whole endeavor was not completely somber, this was Matt’s first experience alone with Dagman women. It was 5 women to him and he informed us that we were very loud! When we got home, to attempt to balance out his estrogen overload, him and Dad went through our herd so he can start tracking numbers and our efforts, something that I’ve been meaning to do for years. Matt and I don’t have a single calf on the ground yet, Mom and Dad are around 35 to 40, the calves that I helped them work on Sunday were looking pretty good, even the red angus one!

Matt and I also made a major change, we got Straight Talk phone, they are prepaid phones that cancelled out our previous contracts and we are anticipating saving some money. I know my phone will save some money, after getting past the early cancellation fee. The hard part will be adjusting to a new phone again!

Best meal: pizza at McKenzie River, we had a ½ good ol boy, ½ branding iron…and it was Spicy!

“See, I have my own harem, gotta take care of them!” MJR says to me before helping my grandmother out of the vehicle.
½ an hour later after he shushes us…
“Who’d have thought two years ago, you’d have such a noisy harem!” Aunt Descie to Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment