Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

The Return to Reality

We’ve been living in the Chicago hangover now for about a week and a half. Things have been busy for us at work. The fair has really picked up pace, if you haven’t been seeing tv, print, or radio, you’ve really not been paying attention. I do like this project in terms of planning and building the hype. The Scandinavian festival has also taken a chunk of time. Top these events off with just being gone and it’ll make my work days and email box a bit full.

Last weekend was the first weekend Matt and I spent in the condo, which is more and more becoming unpacked. I’ve spent a few Matt-free weekends here and it’s such a hard trade-off for me. I hate being away from him but it’s so good to get some of these things packed and settled. I still don’t have a single thing hanging from the wall but I hate to put holes in my fancy, dancy new place. I hope to have those hung before September. Maybe I’ll be more okay with holes by then.

There was a hole that had to be put into the walls, much to my dismay. The shower in my master bath was leaking into the unit below me, unknown to me! So the plumbers came and opened the wall up to get to the shower. It was a bit of a shock to me and when they pulled the sheetrock out, I know my eyes bugged out a bit! Right now I’m waiting for the builder to get back in and paint the repairs but as far as I know, the leak is fixed!

This week I’ve been helping Mom and I think Dad got jealous. Mom and I are getting her guest room ready. We took down the chicken wallpaper, still don’t know why my mother put up wallpaper. We, Matt included, retextured her walls, and finally this week we pulled out the paint brushes. We are about half done painting. We hope to have that wrapped up next week. Dad, feeling like he needed help, called me Wednesday night and had me come rake a field. The hay crop this year is awful. The windrows were hard to find and even after combining two, some of them were still a bit sketchy to see. To top it off the field was rougher than heck, I don’t know how my father bumps up and down like that. I also feel like I’m getting old, I don’t remember rough fields bothering like that one did.
So my most-recent Matt story, I go out Sunday morning to the grocery store to pick up a few items for breakfast. When I come home I hear him in the shower so I get cooking. He comes out happy as a clam after all, he’s clean and soon to be feed. I look at the towel wrapped around his waist and I begin to chew him out that how can he use that towel, that is not for him, he needs to use other towels, etc.
He says, “why?”
I respond, “that’s my fancy towels, for display only.” 
MJR: “how do you know that?”
ALM: “because it still has the tag on it! I have fancy towels for looks only! That tag has been on there for a year because I hate taking the tag off new things.”
(I still have the tag on my couch, I’ve owned it for 2 years)
MJR: “I just grabbed it, how was I to know?”
ALM: “You couldn’t have just grabbed it; you had to have moved a fancy washcloth and 2 fancy hand towels. This couldn’t have been a simple ordeal.”
MJR: “I don’t understand display-only towels. I don’t have display only towels.”
ALM: SIGH: “We’ll you’ll have to someday, if you are lucky.”
And then I had to rip the tag off my fancy, once-used towel.

Best meal: ribs! Matt made ribs for my family and licked them clean. Matt also made tuna steaks the next day so that would have made it top meal if it weren’t for the ribs!

From the TV show, Friends:
Ross: All right, Monica categorizes her towels. How many categories are there?
Joey: Everyday use.
Chandler: Fancy.
Joey: Guest.
Chandler: Fancy guest.
Ross: Two seconds...
Joey: Uh, eleven!
Ross: 11. Unbelievable. 11 is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment