Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Bet Your Bottom Dollar You Lose the Blues in Chicago

The windy city made a claim for their name. The gusts really picked up on our third day and unless we were surrounded by buildings, we felt it whip a bit.

Saturday, we woke up not as early as Friday and went to Wildberry Pancakes. Our non-early wake up cost us about a 40 minute wait for breakfast. We found this cute lil spot on the walk from the past night and after a quick stop by the famous Chicago-lights we made our way to it. It was a modern restaurant with a great menu. I had the breakfast burrito (again with avocado) and chorizo and eggs. Matt had nutella crepes with eggs, bacon, and toast. I also had a great big helping of strawberry pancakes. You can’t go to a place with pancakes in their name without ordering pancakes. 
Matt liked Yolk (the place we had the day before) better but I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I had to pick!

After a brief stroll through Millenium Park, we decided naps may be in order. I can almost hear your outcry and gasp. We are in one of the most amazing cities and we took a nap! I know, I know, “sleep when you’re dead” but that hour off our blistered feet wasn’t bad. I think our mileage count for the weekend to this point was about 8 miles.
We made up for lost time that night, don’t worry. We woke up and headed out to Greek town. Honestly, if we knew what we had in store we probably would have come out right when we arrived in Chicago. We ate at Greek Islands. It was wonderful. We had spinach cheese pies for an appetizer. For the main course, he had a baked eggplant dish and I had a chicken pasta dish, which were both big enough to share. His dish came with these amazing potatoes…he doesn’t like baked potatoes but I didn’t hear a single complaint about these ones. We finished the meal off with a dessert of custard, shredded filo, and wonderfulness. We had to walk a bit around the neighborhood, attempting to avoid our discomfort.

We got back on the “L” and head for Navy Pier, which according to all travel sites and books is wonderful and magical. It wasn’t. The bathroom had an inch of water, there were 9 million screaming children, and the “great shops” that were overpriced and unoriginal. Don’t get me wrong, we took a walk enjoyed the skyline which was beautiful and a great display of the city. We enjoyed looking over the lake and the horizon and we hadn’t had the opportunity until then. We could have done without the amusement park and the DJ. I did thoroughly enjoy the seagulls. We sat down to rest, take in the scenery, and we watched them swoop in and out. And then Matt got crapped on. And I laughed. More than I should have.

From Navy Pier, we weren’t ready to head back to the hotel but had “been there, done that” at the Pier and I wanted to get out of the wind a bit, which had really come up by this point. We ended up walking back toward the “L” and stopped in at D4 Irish Pub. Little place with a decent drink menu. It was Matt’s turn for the flight of drinks, except his chose local brews.
We left there and headed to “Local” or Blue Frog Local 22. We ordered the Mac and Cheese bites which are served with a honey mustard sauce that really was awesome! We were happy there until karaoke started. Matt was super excited to take me across the street to Shaw’s Crab House, their sign bragged of sushi, oysters, and martinis, which he reminded me were his favorite things. He got his fill of a variety of raw oysters and even convinced me to try a few. I prefer smoked but these weren’t awful, that is unless you chewed them. What was great was how they served them. I expected the plate to come from the kitchen, instead these were shucked and prepped right at the bar!
When we left the bar, it was pouring. We did a quick run in the Chicago rain to the “L” and laughed over our evening of gluttony and fun. What a great, Saturday.

Best Meal: Greek....still groan just thinking about it!

“We have a problem, he likes oysters and I don’t.” ALM to the Shaw waiter
“I’d recommend crab cakes then which will suit you both.” Shaw waiter to ALM
“Oh no, he’ll have the oysters and I’ll have the Pomatini martini, so really that’s the solution.” ALM to the Shaw waiter
“Oh, so we don’t have problem?” Shaw waiter to ALM
“Nope, we are both happy that way!” ALM to Shaw waiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment