Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Buy Me Some Peanuts & Crackerjacks.....

DAY TWO: this was one of my favorite days. Cubs Game Day.

That morning, complete in our blue and red, we took off for breakfast, which came as a recommendation from one of my coworkers. We had breakfast at Yolk and we were not disappointed. It was a lighthearted little place with a ton of light and a fair share of yellow. We sat at the bar, I had the California omelet, complete with avocados in it, with strawberry-orange juice, and he had the smoked salmon scrambler and we had to have a share plate of French toast. So good. The bread for the toast had to have been made fresh, too. So I had a predicament as he finished. I suddenly understood Matt’s cantstop attitude that he had with the deep dish due pizza, I couldn’t stop eating breakfast. I don’t know if it was the eggs, the fresh toast bread, the juice, what…it was so good. I always get upset that ND restaurants do not give the breakfast its proper respect and I couldn’t let this moment pass itself up. It’s a good thing we had a bit of walking ahead of us on the way to the red line and the Addison stop.
We decided that in order to save costs and play “local” we’d take the “L” (the subway) as much as possible. This not only saved us money but also footsteps. We bought all together 2 3-day passes and 2 1-day passes, which turned out to be perfect for what we needed. We got on and waited for our stop at Wrigley. We got on and so did 9 million other people. It’s a good thing that neither of us get nervous with crowds or claustrophobic easily. We sure got hot and sweaty though. By the time we got off at our stop we were dripping, warm, and ready to have a little space. It didn’t damper the sights and sounds of Wrigley. It was awesome to see the sign and the stands and the crowds and all the cubs logos. I was surprised at the amount of red sox fans that showed up to the game and we were a little disappointed by the amount of red sox fans that sat around us. Our seats were wonderful but they weren’t horrible, I was happy, I had some space finally, I had a view, and I had a beer. Matt wasn’t as content as I was to sit and enjoy batting practice he had to go and move around. He went and explored and I just took it in. My favorite part of the day was when he decided to come back to me and in his arms he had 2 foam fingers and 2 baby cub bats and one of the best smiles I’ve seen. Made my morning!

The game was great and the energy was high. I loved looking around the stadium and seeing the outside roofs with their own sets of packed bleachers! Final score was 3-0 but some of the best stuff was when we decided to leave the drunken red sox fans and head down to watch the game from the concessions after belting out “Take me out to the Ballgame”. I spied right at the base of the concessions, 2 chairs that I managed to talk Mr. Straightlace into swiping for the remainder of the game. Right behind the catcher….awesome view! The guys that we sat behind also were great, 1 cubs fan and 1 red sox fan, and they definitely were good sports as we watched the cubs bring down the game.

So the best parts were: that smile, the experience, and the HOT DOG…with just a little bit of grilled onions.

That evening we did a bit of walking around and took in Dave and Busters. I had never been and wanted to see what they were like. It was okay, something to experience one and now I’m good. I kicked butt in the horse race, skee ball, and most other games but he did bring home the bacon when it came to some of the tickets and he scored me a FANCY watch that I proceeded to wear for the remainder of the trip.

We ended up walking back to the hotel but not before having to make a few pit stops and even take in a Houlihan’s, which served me up a flight of martini’s.
This girl can’t complain about a day like that despite the sweat and sticky that I felt.

Best Meal: UGH…this one is tough but I think the Chicago Dog at Wrigley Field takes it.

“What kinda change you get in there?” Homeless man sitting outside of a grocery store that we walked out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment