Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Year 2012, Weekend 1.

First Post of the Year..
So much pressure, especially with my fancy new look. After 3 years, the blog was remodeled. I’ll admit it takes some getting used to and I had an instant feeling of regret after I changed it, especially given the fact that I can never go back to the retro-model, as the site upgrade doesn’t allow it. However, it was time!

Some things that have happened over the past little bit…

1. Beautiful weather. This is the first winter that I remember to be absolutely wonderful. I think the past 3 winters have blocked out previous memories but the sun, the mild cold, and the lack of precip have really worked out for me. It has also been making the 100 mile distance drive much more doable as we don’t have to worry about the road conditions yet. If I have my way, we’ll keep it that way.

2. New Year’s Eve. I didn’t make it to midnight…how awful. Matt and I dressed up (and looked danggood) and went out for dinner and drinks. We attempted to go ice skating with a friend and his daughter but the event at the Rec Center was a hit among the pre-teens of Dickinson…there wasn’t a skate I could rent. So much for romantic hand-holding on the ice! He got to get out on the ice, I could tell he was excited and that made me smile. We ended the night with martini’s on the couch!

3. Self-Cooking. We’ve come to be disappointed in what Dickinson offers in terms of food and beverage. It’s not that we don’t think some of the food is good, we have some options and there are favorites that we go to it’s just that we decided that 90% of the time, we make it better ourselves and the service doesn’t make us mad. So I’m proud to say that I had the best martinis in town as well as homemade pizza, gravyed pork chops, gourmet venison chili, and an elaborate breakfast. We were proud of everything we made except I had a bit of his favorite pizza (peanut butter, pepperoni, jalapenos, and cheese) and it just felt wrong. It wasn’t as bad as I thought but my brain didn’t understand what was happening.

Other things that happened over the weekend included Matt working on his European mount of his deer head. He spent a ton of time on the skull of this year’s deer and made a bunch of progress from where he started. I appreciated that he let me just observe on a casual basis versus become involved in the process. I did some shopping, some errands, and learned how to use Pinterest. Overall a pretty laid-back weekend. A great start to a new year.

Meal of the week: (something new I'm starting... I love food, what can I say) Homemade Pepperoni Pizza

"We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day." -Edith Lovejoy Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment