Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Weekends of Orange

Hard to believe it’s November. Hard to believe we just changed the clocks back. I always think of my mother as it’s her favorite day of the whole year! It was also the first snow I’ve seen of the season. Glad to say that I don't see that snow anymore!

Matt and I have had a couple great weekends, makes me realize how I live for the weekends. He came out to Bismarck on Halloween weekend. We went out to the farm for a bit and helped my father with a few projects. He then proceeded to take me “hunting” which basically turned into me walking around with a loaded gun. The birds just weren’t showing themselves. It was disappointing, especially when I think how many I’ve hit around the place with my little s-10 when I first started driving.
We took in a hockey game. People were letting their kids behave like animals, that drove the two of us crazy and we decided to risk being thrown out for some other seats! It was a great weekend, I hated to see him take off Sunday night to go take care of the late night flights.

This past weekend I was fully Remynse-ed, Matt took me up to his parents’ house for the Second Annual Remynse Deer Cull. I met his brother, Eric, and his Uncle Kevin and Aunt Kim. Their family reminds me of mine in many ways. They love to give each other a hard time, don’t let jokes die, and have a few “hams” that love to be in the center of things. Within hours of arriving, they’ve planned Matt’s and I’s future, just makes me laugh! It was great to see Matt so relaxed and in a place that he loves and to top it off he got a great looking buck and was the hit of the chili-cook-off. I was so glad to be a part of things, made me feel special to be invited and share in their family time and jokes.

The holidays are coming up quick, I haven’t even thought about presents or places. I’m not sure how this will work out this season. I’ll be in Denver for Thanksgiving with Matt as we will be prepping to leave on the plane early the next day for Cabo. It will be weird to not be surrounded by people, ages 2ish to 80ish. It’s my mother’s favorite holiday, and as I get older I realize why. The holiday was created for food and family, no facades about what’s really happening but centers on the important things that we can’t live without. Funny thing about family, they are always there…the good or the bad, they are there. I appreciate that both Matt and I value this simple philosophy and come from families who have been an important aspect of our lives.

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.” –Anthony Brandt

No comments:

Post a Comment