Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Martes...en ingles es Tuesday!

May 4: Antigua Adventures!

Tuesday was an official tour day of the God’s Child Project. We toured the Dreamer Center Tuesday morning with Luke Armstrong. We saw their medical center, the offices, the bibliotechia (library), their playgrounds, the original chicken car, the model house that the dreamer house is built off, the kitchen, etc. It was amazing to see what has all been done in 15 or so years.

In the afternoon, we toured the Scheels’ Center and got a preview of Buena Vista (Good view), we would get a much closer view of this “neighborhood” when we went for social work visits on Thursday. The Scheels’ Center is different in that it specializes in the very poor underprivileged children who have very adverse conditions such as being a human traffic victims, these circumstances have resulted in children that are 10 or older not having any schooling. So you will see a 10 year old in kindergarten. The school also teaches them trades and skills that they can make careers from.
This day I had another unique experience with the children. Guatemalan children love cameras. However, they are very much “if you give a mouse a cookie” in this aspect. They want their picture taken, then they want to see it, then they want to take a picture of you, then they want to tell you how to pose! Ha. We had our pic taken with a little boy and then someone else took the camera and pretty soon I had 7 sets of hands on me. It was not overwhelming, it was this feeling of love. I was completely swarmed and I think back now and just smile! The pictures that they take aren’t the best but they make me laugh!

We also went and visited Radio Metropolis. Stacy and Nic enjoyed it much more than I did, but I was able to experience the one linears that they cut for the station to promote and identify their station. Two things happened here that I did not catch on. Stacy sold me to a Chilean DJ…I was the only one he kissed (which is a typical tradition, to kiss on the cheek) and then he said a bunch of things. Stacy and I looked at each other and she said to me, “I think you are now his bride” and then to him “Come pick her up on Saturday”. Thanks Stacy, your first set-up was much better, let's stay there for now!
Then Radio Metropolis wanted us to cut on linears with them. Stacy went through the first take and then the radio man said something to our translator, Miguel. However, Miguel wouldn’t repeat it but did say they wanted it smoother. I thought they didn’t want the heavy enunciation but come to find out they wanted a sex-talk one linear. Stacy and Nic figured it out but I’m so dumb! I just made it quieter! WOW!

That night, the God’s Child staff took us out to La Canoe, this hotel sports bar. What a night…I laughed so much. We ordered a bit of food, a quesadilla, a snitzel, and a coffee iced chocolate cake, but my favorite things that I ordered were in glasses! I had the best pina coladas in my life! WOW! We also ordered a round of shots called la cucaracha…they were sambuca, cafeta, and flaming…at least that’s how the menu described them! HA! They came and Stacy jumped in full force, Nic wasn’t so sure. These pics make me laugh. They tell a story that brought back the whole experience! I’m also proud to admit that I’ve now played pool in 4 countries: Ireland, Canada, America, and now Guatemala! One of the guys began to play with me and I said to him “Como si dice Rock Star?” so now I’m estario de Roc! HA!

The walk home was a huge gigglefest for all of us. We had to walk like 45 miles back to Dora’s house but the best part is when I was trying to ask how to say scared and one of the guys would keep laughing at me and finally after the third or fourth time he said, you are trying to say scared but it keeps coming out shit!

I yiyi!

No comments:

Post a Comment