Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Catching Up and Catching My Breath

I’m back…life has been crazy and I can’t seem to catch my breath but I’m back!

This month has been so busy, I can’t seem to catch my breath.

May 1: Alaina’s prom
She looked so stunning and grown up. Candy did her hair and it looked fabulous. It was nice to see her look so professional and cleaned up. We had a few hiccups that night but everything was fixed with a Paradiso Marquarita!

May 2: Big Ol’ Jet Airliner
Stacy, Nic, and I took off for Guatemala. We first flew to Denver, then to Houston, and then Guatemala. They had some radio/server problems with the station when we were in Houston but we made it safe to Central America. I did laugh that Stacy was hauling the WHOLE radio station around the airports! They can travel!

The first impressions of the country were not favorable…humidity that could choke you and 16 year old police officers with sawed off shotguns.
It was hard to adjust to the language barrier. I did not have these problems when I went to the United Kingdom and I did not realize that not have a firm grasp on Spanish would prove to be so frustrating. We were so relieved to see Miguel, our tour guide holding a sign with our names on it! He took our stuff and loaded it into the 19 person van and hauled us off to Antiqua.
On the way through Guatemala City, which is a very dangerous town, we saw McDonald’s, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Shell Gas Stations. We got into our host house at about 11:00ish. At the time, I couldn’t believe what we were going to be living in. But it’s amazing when you begin to change your perspective what become okay and you begin to feel lucky.

Stay tuned. I will keep filling in the details and give you peeks of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment