Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Beach, Badlands, Blackhills...

Another exciting week…I feel like time is just flying. I’m also thinking about writing my congressional delegation to request that a third day be added to the weekend! That would give me some time to accomplish things!

I determined that my washing machine was not broken…my main drainage line was plugged. I made friends with George, president and CEO of George’s Drain and Sewage Cleaning. His bill was much cheaper than paying for new appliances! For awhile I had water coming in the house in 2 places. I’m still having the leaking that I did last spring but one swimming pool is better than two unplanned swimming pool.

Work has been crazy. Julie and myself worked from my home for the most part. We got a lot done but there’s just a lot of narrative to write! To top it off, there is so much happening right now that needs other attention. For example, I went and spoke to the Beach Area Chamber of Commerce about the HTC model. They seem really interested so we’ll see if they want to become involved. Their community is so interesting they have this little artistic cultural hub in middle of nowhere ND, it’s really refreshing to see so many of their residents care about their community and each other.

Another work-related trip included a drive out to Medora. They are starting their community days campaign and the kick-off event was a 91 year-old silent movie showing at the National Park. It had a great turn out and we have heard such positive things as feedback. Julie and I had our picture taken with Peter P. Dog, the National Park mascot. He’s got a blog, (http://www.trnha.org/wherespete.html), check it out…it’s adorable!

Friday, Candy came out to Dickinson as a prelude to National Irish Appreciation Day (St. Pat’s). She got a tattoo at “In the Flesh” as a reminder of things happening in her life. It turned out so nice on her. She didn’t even cry once…I was proud of her. While I was with her, I checked out some of the “past works”…one guy actually got a chocolate cake (with maraschino cherries on top) and the word “lie” underneath it…you can have you cake and eat it too. The artist also shared about a $400 combine that she was preparing for a guy…I just can’t image either of these designs being permanent on me. It really does take all types for the world!

I also was able to take in Julie’s son’s hockey game with her, Sierra(her daughter), and another co-worker, Deanna. It was fun to watch. I had forgotten how much I enjoy watching hockey. For their age group (about 10), they already have a pretty amazing skill set!

The top off to this week was an unplanned getaway to Deadwood. Candy and her sister, Aubrey, convinced me to come with and celebrate St Pat’s. I was hesitant right away as I have so much happening right now but the escape was wonderful! We took in the parade, the festivities, the dancing…we went to Saloon 10…WOW! I’ve been to Deadwood before but have never seen this many people. You couldn’t move 3 inches without bumping someone. The dance floor was ridiculous! The band was great but a few too many people! We took the trolley ride from hell, but thanks to Candy’s assertiveness…she was able to get us off after an hour of being bused around the entire city! Since Candy got a tattoo, it made me think I should get one too…so I did and in 3-5 days it should wash off! I’m including some random pics of the weekend, if you want the story…you might just have to ask.

We also were able to wander the town with open containers…it was like a Vegas with snow. The prices were all really reasonable too, which made me think…hmmm…maybe next year again! Funny thing is, this is not my first out of state St Pat’s celebration. I went and visit Matt Wald in Denver a few spring breaks ago. It feels good to take the short escapes!

My mother’s birthday was this week! She makes me giggle but I felt bad for her as her least favorite day also happened…spring ahead. She hates the switch forward of clocks and combined with all the mud from the melting..I’m sure she’s ready for spring to be over. It’s hard to believe that her birthday starts off the chain of the rest of my families, it will be my sister’s 18th next month…a scary thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment