Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The one with the 5 day old Baby

Well... it's official. We are a two child household. I feel very American dream like... two kids, two cars, three stall garage... all we need is a picket fence. Yeah, a picket fence and a normal sleep schedule! It's been hard to shift back to the idea that we are up multiple times in a night and function on little sleep. We had just made it to the sleeping all night, most nights with Eleanor. I know we'll get there again but that's a tall mountain to climb!

It was weird bringing a baby home again. I remember the first time getting in the
car with Eleanor in complete disbelief like we'd either passed some amazing test proving we could be trusted with this little body or we'd stole her! It felt very similar with Grady. They were going to let another one come home with us to take care of and grow. Obviously they didn't know about the cut Eleanor had gotten on her nose when we were rough housing or the fact that we let her sleep with 2 stuffed animals (and a BunnyLove), or for her birthday we took her to one of her favorite meals - Taco Bell, or the other bad displays of parenting that had happened. They may have questioned our ability to sustain two! I was happy for his appointment to come and check on him. Get a weight check... already back up to 7lb 2oz, which was great progress!
GRR fussing
MJR begins to rock him.
Fussing quiets
MJR walks into kitchen.
MJR: I am so rocking this newborn!


Eleanor is slowly getting used to him. We were a bit nervous in the hospital as not only did she not seem interested but she avoided him. He's starting to come around in her eyes.. she watches him and wants to touch him so it's just ensure she's gentle. She also wants to bring him things but that's dangerous as sometimes we can hand things over and sometimes things get hurled.

She's been just as busy as ever lately. The "new" things she's doing... climbs
up to the top of her slide and just stands there - without holding on. Looking at a TON of books... will do it for hours, especially if someone is there to read to her. And we don't need new books... we
can look at the same set over and over and over again. Her golf game is still a work in progress! Makes me laugh when she swings her club a dozen times over the ball! She's climbing up on chairs... not just the dining room table but the tall counter chairs as well! We filled her sandbox with sand and took her outside to play in it. She loved it! Made me smile watching her play, that is until she put a big handful into her mouth. Sandbox time over!

best meal: we had random meals (leftovers, BLTs, sandwiches) this week but we had one meal where Grady had finished nursing and I was holding him, Eleanor was eating what we put in front of her, and Matt and I were finishing up and I realized this is my beautiful little family. While it may not have been as organized or as clean as I would have liked- it was beautiful.
ALR: Do you remember the first couple days with Eleanor?
MJR: Kinda.
ALR: What did we do? I'm really struggling with the details of those days.
MJR: We brought her home and stared at her.
ALR: I know, then what?

MJR: You slept, she slept, you feed her, she pooped and peed.
ALR: I feel like you are missing a lot of details. Did I hurt like I am.
MJR: Yes.
ALR: Does he sleep like she did at night? Sporadic and night owlish
MJR: Yes.
ALR: I don't remember it being hard like this.
MJR: You had good medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment