Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

Guest Blogger: The one with GRR's Arrival

Guest Blogger: MJR

15 months ago I awoke for EER’s arrival and I was nervous, today I woke for GRR’s arrival and I was excited. See I didn’t know what to expect with EER, what to do when she came, etc. With GRR I was ready. The day started very similar, no need for an alarm clock - we just woke up and got ready. A friend of ours, Candy, was going to be babysitting Eleanor and take her with to day care. Candy arrived at 5:50, Amanda took her through a quick walk through of Eleanor morning routine and we were out the door. We stop at Burger King for my breakfast (ALR's inject: same as with EER's day and just like with EER, I watched him eat it in the parking lot of the hospital) and off to the hospital.

The hospital was much easier this time because Amanda didn’t have the nasty pupps rash like she did before. The doctors and nurses came in and discussed the procedure and gave me my scrubs for the OR. Once the IV was in and Amanda was briefed, we were put in the queue and told it would be a little bit. I took this opportunity to call the grandparents, and text the aunt/uncle. I’m pretty sure I woke up all the parents. The Aunt and Uncle appeared to already be up. I updated everyone that Amanda was in the hospital and made a special request for a babysitting Eleanor while we were in the hospital.

At 8:00ish, Amanda was wheeled away and I watched golf while I waited for nurse to come and get me. Oh how I miss the golf channel (ALR's inject: Poor, poor Matt). At around 8:20 I was able to head into the OR. It was like déjà vu , Many of the same nurses were there, including Bonnie who was the nurse who took care of Eleanor immediately after her delivery. As I watched the countdown - which was an injection of the medication, I talked with Amanda and held her hand as the doctors had a bit of difficulty getting the spinal tap in. (ALR's inject: this time it sucked and I may have cried from frustration and being a bit scared). Once the countdown hit zero, it was game on. The curtain went up, a time out for the team happened, and a baby was about to be born.

Dr. Bury said "I see the head, and that he has a head full of dark hair." Shortly after she said I could look over the drape, it was very interesting to see. I was able to watch the entire birth. He arrived at 8:33 am.

GRR: Waa, waa, waa
MJR: he looks great!
Nurse Bonnie: Do we have a name?
MJR: Grady Randy,
Medical Staff: oh what a great name.

Dr. Bury did note that he wasn’t as big but looked really good. Bonnie and another nurse took him and started to clean him up and took his measurements. He pinked right up and got high scores on APGAR. (ALR's inject: I kept looking over to watch the team work and I kept seeing these little hands fly up, almost waving at me) He wasn’t as large as Eleanor, 7.7# and 20.5” compared to Eleanor 9.6# and 23” but he was handsome. I didn’t cut the cord on this one, a little disappointed, I should have asked, lesson learned. They wrapped him up and gave him to me to hold. I took him over to Amanda and we had the Anesthesiologist take our picture.

Once the doctors were complete with the surgery we headed back to the recovery room. We stayed there for about an hour. GRR was a little cold according to his temp and the doctors wanted skin to skin to warm him up. This was when Amanda finally got to hold him. It wasn’t too long after we were headed to our nursery room across the way. It was so nice to hear the nursery rhyme place over the speakers at the hospital. GRR’s official announcement to the world. Once we were settled into the  nursey room I went to pick up Eleanor from daycare (ALR's inject: Matt and I decided that she rightfully should be the first to meet him)
When Eleanor got to the room she was excited to see Amanda and then we introduced her to her little brother. As I write this my mind wandered off to the movie scar face, were he say “say hello to my little friend” Back on topic. Eleanor was a little unsure of GRR and I had to be careful to assure she touched him nice. After the introduction we grabbed a quick family picture and returned Eleanor to day care, which she was not happy about.
GRR’s first visitors were Grandma Di and Grandpa Perry. A little scare took place while they were in the room. Amanda’s uterus wasn’t contracting enough and  bled a little more than the medical staff wanted (ALR's inject: I was a little scared too as I had a team of 5 nurses and Dr. Bury on the phone). After some medication she was okay and Grandma Di and Grand Perry came back in, along with Aunt Alaina. After that it was Grandma Michele and Grandpa Randy turn to meet the little dude. After all the visitors, both Amanda and GRR were a tired. GRR had to head to an assessment and I went to lunch with my parents while Amanda slept.

Later that afternoon, I made some phone calls and sent some text share the great news with the great grand parents and others. Later in the day, Aunt Alaina came back and Uncle Eric and his girlfriend came and visited GRR. Grandma Michele and Grandpa Randy, and Eleanor came too. It was a full house in our tiny room. 

At around 7:00pm GRR was carted off by the nurses for another assessment , the medical staff keeps close tabs on the babies, and everyone took off at this time, capping a wonderful day. Amanda and I
relaxed a little bit. I enjoyed some Nardello’s pizza and sandwich while Amanda had leek soup and a banana popsicle (ALR's inject: same thing I had after EER's arrival). The nurses came back with GRR at 8:30ish and we all went to bed. It was a great day! 

After everything settled at night
ALR: We did it. I can't believe he's here.
MJR: Yes, we did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment