Pages

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The one with the Ultrasound

This was a big week for us....
We've been waiting for this for quite some time. We found out if we were having a son or another daughter. Matt and I've been whatifing for some time. We've each taken bets on what it would be. With Eleanor, I had what Matt and I refer to as the premonition. One day, like lightning it hit me, we are having a girl. Matt argued with me and was convinced it was a boy. I felt so sure of my conviction and weeks later at the ultrasound was proven accurate.

This year, we waited for the premonition. I didn't have the same feeling, I didn't have that bolt of certainty. Then one morning it came softly, washing over me. Eleanor had woken up early and was fussy, I thought we were done for, that it was 6:00 and we were awake. Matt went and got her out of her crib and without delay or saying a word brought her into our bedroom, into our bed. I watched with sleepy eyes and amusement. I was sure this was the 'Hail Mary' of pleas. He laid down with her on his chest. She rose a bit, looked at me, looked at him, and then put her little head on his broad chest. The sight was beautiful to me and then the thought snuck into my mind, that it's so wonderful, he's with our daughter and I'm with our son. And that was the only inkling of insight into what I was carrying - I didn't feel the same conviction so I didn't want to tell Matt and kept it to myself.

That brings us to this week. We've talked names, we've talked decorations, we've talked options and maybes.... but we'd been waiting to see a beating heart, a solid body, and have things get a little bit more real. We saw the beating heart, we saw the kidneys, the brain, the blood flow, the fingers, the toes, the tongue sticking out at us.... some times seeing is believing. We asked her to put our answer in an envelop so we could soak up what we had just seen.

That night we sat on the couch together... just the three of us, while Eleanor napped and let things get a bit more real. I told Matt my premonition story and then we opened up the envelop.

MJR opens up the envelop: Oh, she sent ultrasound pics. 
Both stare at pic
MJR: I can't read this.
ALR: It says it right there, on the bottom of the pic.
Both read the word and look at each other.
MJR: We are having a nautical nursery!
ALR: Oh, we are going to have to get all new clothes. 
Both sit in silence for a moment.
MJR: Oh... I have so much responsibility, I'm going to have raise a gentleman.
ALR: You will be a great example. 
MJR: I think I am feeling more stress than raising a little lady. 
ALR: That's so funny, I think I understand exactly what you are feeling as I felt that way with Eleanor. 
Both sit in silence again.
MJR: We are having a boy.
ALR: A boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment