Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Avocation (av-uh-key-shun)

Well the critics have reviewed the blog and they have deemed we are boring. I feel like I should add a disclaimer to our page... never have I stated that I live an exciting life! In fact, I often tell people these are our daily happenings of an old married boring foodie couple! Lucky for the critics, it's been a much more interesting week.

 It was a week that Matt looks forward to all year... no not Valentine's Day.. Butchering weekend! He plans and researches and digs out all the crap and reviews recipes and gets excited. I love that he has hobbies but sometimes they do amaze me. Butchering weekend officially kicked off with three pigs on Friday night. Matt, Dad, and Michele took on a lot of the butchering! I did not think I could stomach the process so I prepped items at the house! By the time we came out on Saturday we were in full go mode. Saturday we broke down all the pigs, packaged the main cuts, made sausage, and cleaned up and hauled it all home. By the end of Saturday, we were exhausted! Matt and I ended up with sage breakfast sausage, beer brats, and country sausage for our half.

On Sunday we had a few other things happening, we took in the sport show briefly before Matt and I went home for him to begin smoking. His smoker hasn't had much of a work out since the pregnancy and now it's making up for it. He has smoked 20 pounds of polish sausage, almost 70 pounds of Country sausage, 5 pounds of summer sausage, 5 pounds of trail bologna, and 12 pounds of polish game sausage. The game sausage came from Matt's waterfowl hunts this past year. Him and I had that prepped and then finished out on Sunday as well. TonyDanza liked sausage making real well at first until he ate two casings and some floor meat....then he got an upset stomach. Poor thing! Lola was just happy the smoking was happening because she snuck out the door whenever Matt opened it to check, adjust, etc.

Monday was another day of smoking. Aside from that we also squeezed some baby things in... we took a tour of her day care. Matt wasn't too sure about the noise and the whatnot but I credit that to us not being used to how noisy kids really can be. We also had our 28 week check-up. She's doing really well. Heartbeat was 151 and she was very active during the appointment, it could have been during due to the glucose orange soda drink but while we were listening for her heart she kept kicking or hitting the Doppler. I passed my glucose test but they were concerned about my iron levels - which given my family history isn't a huge surprise. Either way, it was a good appointment and it's hard to believe that we are officially in the third trimester....we have a lot of stuff to do to prepare but I think mentally prepare is the biggest for the both of us!

We did have to modify our Valentine's Day tradition. I will admit I miss the surf and turf (we only had the surf) but it was good to connect with my wonderful husband and enjoy things together - I guess that's the most important thing.

Best meal: We took Randy and Michele to Fireflour...I love that place! Runner up was turkey dinner during butchering, I didn't really get to enjoy turkey this past holiday and made up for it with this meal and the leftovers!

Name of the week: Ainsley
Cravings: taco bell food, fish tacos, seafood,
Pregnancy Symptoms: breathlessness, arms that fall asleep at night, weird dreams, sleepless nights, night sweats, frequent trips to the bathroom,

MJR: Perry, this is all the sidepork that you have.
Randy: What is side pork?
Perry: Side pork is just like bacon..
ALR interrupts: If bacon were gross.
Perry: It's uncured, unsmoked bacon. It's like taking any piece of pork, frying it up, adding a little bit of salt.You could do it with any piece of the hog but it's the same cut where bacon comes from.

Randy: I love bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment