Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How to get through a time change...

Are we in spring yet? Can we be in spring yet? Wait, we are already so busy and summer hasn't even hit yet...maybe I'm not ready for spring yet.

I can tell the days are getting longer and our energy is going up. I'm not sure if it's out of necessity or the warmer weather. We actually have had windows open this past weekend and the cats are loving it.

But let's back up a bit to the weekend before last. We went to Fargo for UMAS but we couldn't go to the Eastern side of the state without attempting to make a trip up to Grand Forks and take in a hockey game. So before leaving town, we made crepes, I enjoyed my latte and we got in the vehicle to road trip. Felt a little reminiscent of the Florida driving.

It was an amazing game against St. Cloud. Here's the interesting part, I'll admit I'm hockey'd out. I internally (and maybe externally) cringe when I see it come on the TV and I know now that we are getting into playoff season for both pros and college and that means more hockey because they play like best of 9 million games. But this hockey was different. The game, the sound, the atmosphere. We had amazing seats. Matt did some reminiscing of his younger rowdy college days but it was amazing.

My most vivid memory of the game was during a 3 on 5 St Cloud power play and one of the players (MacMillan) took a puck block shot to the leg and it was all he could do to try to stand up let alone skate over to get off the ice. Was heartbreaking to see the commitment he had yet the pain that he went through. After this happened the Ralph became engaged. So loud in their cheering and encouragement of the team. I don't know if I can forget that. Matt recorded the game to see if we got on TV (he did, I didn't) and the announcers said that what we experienced was the loudest that the Ralph had ever been.
Matt's most vivid memory was while we had the St. Cloud goal on our side, I looked at him and said, "I hope they score one more goal soon." Minutes later the puck sailed into the net in a clean undeniable shot. That took us into the third period, where we got to change seat and sit in his professor's seats, which are just rows from the home bench. Matt was in heaven. I was so distracted! I didn't know where to watch, who to watch, so much to take in!

Professor Kim: Yeah, we are close, you'll start smelling the players.
5 minutes later.
ALR: Oh my gosh, she's right. I can smell the sweat. Oh, ugh.

MJR: She is right! Isn't it wonderful.
ALR: (wrinkles nose)

The game finished in a win and it was also the last home game of the season. Which resulted in the videos of the seniors who will probably remember this win with a bittersweetness that I couldn't understand. It was a wonderful night to see the game and enjoy good friends and good conversation.
The next couple days were spent in Fargo. Matt spent it immersed in airport fun and jargon. I spent it with one my favorite people, Aunt Janice. Now her and I had great plans. We didn't get many of them accomplished. We went through her seeds, her scarves, and did some shopping. We also hung a picture, which was much more painful than I ever could have imagined. We got it up with 5 holes in the wall, mathematics, measuring, and stress. I am not the picture hanger in my family.
The rest of the week, we played catch-up. Matt was busy at work. I was busy at work. We even managed to run into each other at the Capitol and I got the chance to sit in on his testimony. Was nice to see the questions they asked.

The weekend flew by. We worked on cleaning, organizing, and actually doing some much needed moving in. We had a surprise on Saturday night with Brendan and Claudia dropping in as they are getting acquainted with the city. So I know Matt was excited to show them the house for the first time.

All in all, what a busy couple weeks!

Best meal: Little Bangkok....the 2 Hearts roll, with the amazing crunch!

MJR: Gosh, we got so much done today!
ALR: (Looks at him)
MJR: We didn't get everything done you wanted to, did we?
ALR: (sighs) No, I had such a good list.
MJR: What else was on your list?
ALR: I forgot it at work, so I can't remember.
MJR: (looks at her)
ALR: But I know there were things that we didn't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment