Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

FL: How to put over 800 miles on a rental car...

Our last full day in Florida was the first day we took it slow. We had one goal for the day, get close to the airport so we could be on the plane home. 

So we started the day with breakfast on the beach. We had picked up an Ugli fruit at Robert's and ate that before getting into the water. I'll never forget the water. The tide was going out and the waves were so minimal, you couldn't even call it waves. They reminded me of a blanket just shifting along. I wondered where that calm was when I was try to snorkel the day before. We enjoyed the beach. Matt dove in while I combed for seashells and enjoyed the calm. It was a beautiful start to the morning. 
We both admitted that we could have sat there all day soaking in the sun and surf. The hotel was in a perfect location from the beach and the umbrella was providing the right amount of shade. I had to remind myself that Spring Break was coming and going to completely change the calm that I was loving.
When we got on the road, we were both a bit hungry and stopped off at a place called Hot Leggz, which boasted their crab legs. We settled for Ahi Tuna tacos and gator bites before getting on the road. We road US 1 through many towns. Finally, upon needing to get out of the sun for a bit. Matt had me look to see if we were close to a Diner, Drive-In, and Dive stop, which he loves. We discovered we were 3 miles from Havana Hideout-which actually filled Matt's quest for a good Cuban. He got the "What Guy Got" platter which was a great amount of food and I got the Taco Combo, taking the fish taco that Guy had AND adding an even more amazing taco, the Baja to it. Not only was the food absolutely amazing and we could have sat under the umbrella foreverish, but add an amazing hard Root Beer to it as well, I could go there every week. 

We got back on the road heading north, when we got into Jupiter, I decided I'd gone long enough without a piece of Key Lime Pie. We stopped in a little place called Little Moir's Food Shack. This place was beautiful. You watched the chefs make the food and I love when a line doesn't have a microwave. The food looked bright, wonderful, and I was debating about having another meal just to experience it. This restaurant inspired the food meltdown of 2015 as the "Blue Sheet Menu" is only the daily LUNCH menu for Tuesday. The evening meal has it's own menu, just as every other day of the week. The most expensive item, which was the daily special - encrusted salmon on a bed of greens, was $12.00. ARE YOU FRICKEN SERIOUS! I will go back and enjoy more than desserts!
The rest of the drive that day was to get us back to Orlando/Sanford. Matt wanted to drive by Tiger Wood's place. It was an immaculate neighborhood, which wasn't a shock. 
We also drove past the Kennedy Space Center, which we hope to take in at another time.
We stayed the night in Orange City, at the Holiday Inn Express, cheapest hotel of the trip. They recommend the seafood restaurant for the evening, the Swamphouse Riverfront Grille, which was right on the water. The decor was what you'd expect given the name, the food was fabulous. I had the grilled grouper, which was probably the best grouper I've had of my life! Matt had the fried mahi that was crab stuffed. But the favorite part of his meal probably was the jambalaya.

We took off early the next day to ensure we made it to the airport at 5:00. We said goodbye to the convertible and to Florida. It was an amazing trip. One that I won't forget anytime soon. I think I've described it as a beautiful whirlwind and given my mood when you ask, I'll come up with a different favorite each time. We will do it again.

ALR: How do you feel about this trip?
MJR: Well, we didn't plan much. All we started with was the flights and the rental car.
ALR: Yeah, but you are my otter. No matter where we go, as long as I had you, it was going to be a good time. 

MJR: It was a good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment