Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Warmer Weather Recovery

After digging out, we are still digging out. I’m ready for the sun and the bright. I’m ready for summer. We can skip spring with its snow storms, rain, and mud. I am ready to start picking out plants and flowers and thinking about how I’m going to get a garden. I really want some tomato plants as Matt and I do so much with tomatoes; tomato soup, marinara, pizza sauce, bloody mary mix, and plain canned tomatoes. I’m not sure how or where but I want to get it done!
 
Matt spent some time finding the patio for me. The hard part with our yard is that there’s nowhere
to go with the snow. He ended up just dumping it over our fence. We have also had an intruder on our patio. I’m used to the occasional cat, but it’s the squirrels that are starting to get to me. We bought a couple of the seed bells. Well I’m done with that. The squirrel broke the last one off and carried it away. So I decided I was going to fix him. I got him a corn cob spring but we haven’t found the ideal spot for it yet. They are dragging it over to the trunk and eating it, not swinging on it. And now we have a mess because of the seeds that have been dropped to the ground. So I shot the squirrel. With a bb gun. It does not seem to deter seed scrounging and mess making.
We had some culinary fun this weekend. Matt bought a ravioli maker. I cooked the squash to fill it. We’ll update later on this as we’ll have them this week. Matt also made Bierocs. They are a hamburger/sauerkraut filled bun. I was pleasantly surprised. Matt wasn’t too happy with the outcome but I think he’ll try it again someday.
On Sunday, we had a full day. We had the Ladies Auxiliary Breakfast and Bake Sale. Over 350 people were served and the line was out the door for a long time. I made a few different cookies for the sales, Peanut Butter, Pumpkin, and Bacon Chocolate Chip. Maybe I should have been wise considering this is the cheapest breakfast in town and I should have read my audience better. But it all went in the end!
After getting home, Dad called me and asked if I wanted to go on a bull delivery run to South Heart and Amidon. He had already delivered 2 and had three to go. It was a nice ride and would have been better if he hadn’t had had some truck heating issues but all in all was glad to have been asked, and picked up to go with!
The only downspot on the weekend was that I had some eye issues. I woke up on Thursday, got in the shower and suddenly had incredible eye pain. The pain and watering and swelling forced me to go to both the clinic and the eye doctor. It also forced Matt to get a patch for me, which helped with the light sensitivity but also incited his giggles and joking. After a day and a half off of work, and a week straight of glasses, a z-pack, and drops, and no make-up, I'm back to normal. Fingers crossed.
Best meal: Dakota Diner on Sunday night. Don't read too much into that, the food was fine but it was the time and conversation with my Dad and Matt that made it my favorite.
 
MJR: Three years, this Wednesday.
ALR: I know. We've come along way.
MJR: What is 3rd anniversary gifts?
ALR: According to this site, Leather. That's better than year 1, paper.
MJR: What's wrong with paper?
ALR: On our first anniversary, you gave me a lame newspaper.
MJR: It wasn't lame! It was thoughtful.
ALR: It wasn't the right day!
MJR: That's because the Dickinson Press doesn't print a paper on a Monday!
ALR: You could have gotten the Bismarck Tribune at least!
MJR: That was showing my warped sense of humor.
Happy Three Years since our first date, Honey.
May we continue to remember what started it all.
You called me at the Elton John concert,
you couldn't hear me and decided to call me back the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment