Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Love in the Cold of Winter

Another winter week. I think we are both going a bit stir crazy. We are a little crabby with a side of wanting some sun and some traveling on the books. We even dug out our St. Maarten contract so we could get some potential ideas for when we are going this year. Ahhhhh, beaches, such a nice idea.
 
The highlight of the week was Friday, St. Valentine's Day. I'll remind all of a couple things. 1. I've once gone to work (back in my college/blackjack dealing days) wearing all black 2. Matt and I don't get anything for each other. In the past, I've dreaded the holiday. This was our first Valentine's married and we continued with our yearly tradition of instead of gifts, we buy king crab and prepare those and sirloins for the ultimate surf and turf meal. It's one of those meals that I look forward to every year (that and Christmas fondue). We prep the meal together, we sit down and enjoy it and each other. We know that it'll cost less than a meal out would be for the two of us and we also know crab is not the easiest thing to eat in public.

Saturday night was the Dickinson Rural Christmas Party. We had a good time. I and friend, Kay, were responsible for coming up with the game, prizes, and snacks. Unfortunately, Kay was unable to attend due to family issues, but we had a good start and the "Battle of the Sexes" went better than I expected. I emceed! We ended up home at 12:30 that night. Matt was so disappointed when the keg dried up.

Sunday day was pretty laid back for us...But not for my parents. I helped catch a couple, but when he had 8 calves born in one day, that makes for a pretty exciting day. With the cameras, Mom has caught a few from work, I've not caught as many as her. I think there are quite a few that agree that we need more cameras to see more.

Sunday night was a tough one for Matt. His team, New York Life, entered the playoffs in the number 2 seat. They play best 2 out of 3 to advance and unfortunately, they lost in the semi-finals to the Noble Casing team. His only consolation was that the number 1 seat was also knocked off. He was pretty bummed. I will miss his excitement over the games and goals and the times he came home pumped off a win. I actually enjoyed watching this last game as the team had improved over the year, especially after I saw the necessity in have skates sharpened.
 
Monday was a federal holiday, President's Day. I love these days. Matt did end up going in a bit to catch up on some local issues. But we enjoyed sleeping in. He was very sweet that morning. I knew he had set his alarm for 7:30. But at 8, when he hadn't moved, I poked him awake a bit.
MJR: I know.....I'm up. I'm just happier right here.
How could I kick him out of bed like that?

After he came home, we prepped supper on the smoker. We had hickory smoked ribs and sweet
potatoes. Matt was very happy with how they turned out and he dedicated the meal to his father.

Best Meal: This is a tough one. Friday: Valentine's Surf and Turf. Saturday morning: Salmon lox and bagels. Monday evening: smoked ribs. If I had to pick one, I'd say it was the surf and turf. That king crab was amazing.
 
MJR: The Olympics! Yeah!
ALR: Serious?
MJR: I love the winter olympics and I only get to enjoy it every 4 years.
ALR(more to herself than him): Who would have known.
MJR: The luge, speed skating,ski jumps, curling, hockey, bobsled, even figure skating
ALR (staring)
MJR: I can just about hear the opening ceremonies. Ba Ba Ba-Bum, Ba Ba Ba-Bum….
ALR: The Olympics are getting married?
MJR: Opening ceremonies…..bbbbaaaum ba ba bum baum bum
ALR: Um, no, graduation.
MJR:  Crap, you are right.
Two days later.
MJR: Ba Ba
ALR: Nope.
MJR: I just can’t get it!
A day later while watching the Olympic commerical.
MJR: I got it!!!
The next day.
ALR: So what is the Olympic music?
MJR: Baum, hmmmm, Ba Ba Bum, crap, Ba, hmmmm. Um….
MJR: Why aren’t we watching the Olympics?

Later that night.
Getting ready for bed
ALR: What's the music for the Olympics again?
MJR: WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?
Two days later at the DRFD Christmas Party
ALR yells over to MJR: Come here, I want to show Roxanne something.
MJR walks over.
ALR: What's the music to the Olympics.
MJR: (Moments of silence) $#%@ you. (walks off)

No comments:

Post a Comment