Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Candid Cow Cameras

This past week it’s like we were home…But not really. Hooray for the cameras. I watch the cows whenever I can! For the most part they aren’t too exciting, they lay around and eat but every once in awhile we get a good shot. I got to see Dad and the first calf of the year. I would have seen the second, but I had to go to work. It’s really a feeling of nostalgia. I have the cameras on when I’m at work and home. They are actually very relaxing to watch, I don’t even mind that they slowed down in the calving department. I do think I’ve talked to my father more since they’ve gone up. Like when the black cow started being a bully and getting all the other cows up. I called him and we both watched her be a boss cow all over the barn until she got the spot that she wanted.
Best quote from my mother realizing that a calf was born: “Why does that turd have ears?”
The downside of the week was that both Matt and I were sick. He stayed home for a day and a half and I stayed home for a day. We are both shaking the final aspects of whatever we had including congestion for me and coughs for him, but we’ve come a long way.

This past weekend was one at home where we didn’t really have a plan. We had a date morning on Saturday and tried the new bagel place in Dickinson. We’ll go back after they’ve had some time to get a better feel for their crowd. We also took in the new Menard’s, which is the biggest in the country! I think of all the trips we made to Bismarck specifically to go to Menards or Lowes and all the trips to Ace and I’m so glad that we have a bigger selection with a few more options. We’ve heard they have the cheapest milk in town and have already gone thru 100,000 gallons in a week but I’m not surprised with the other oilfield gouging. Matt could have had his pic taken with Larry Menard, the man who started it all but he decided not to. Instead we picked up the casing for the shower as Matt is currently turning it off and on with a pliers. We’ll have to get that fixed soon.
We took in a movie on Saturday night, something we don’t do often. I joined a book club this year and the books are all coming out this year as movies. So far I’ve read Labor Day, but have yet to see it in theaters and now we are reading Monuments Men. Two totally different writing styles, points of view, stories, settings, and so on. Matt wanted to see Monuments Men and it was pretty good. I was impressed with script as it was more cohesive than the book has been but we’ll see as I work my way through the book to see how my idea changes. I am not impressed that they changed the names of the characters from the book to the movie but I realize that movies and books aren’t always the same.

On Sunday, we stayed close to home until Matt’s big playoff game that night. It was a well matched game but the refs weren’t watching with their eyes sometimes. It didn’t end the way Matt wanted and I saw the team get more competitive/angry than I’d seen them in the past. He’ll get one more shot, as it’s a best of 3 tournament. He had some good action/involvement and I would like him to finish the season on a high note as he’s enjoyed the play and his team. Next game is next Sunday. Here’s hoping!

Best meal of the week: We went to El Sombrero on Sunday night, which was the location of our first date. Brought back some fun memories.
Yes, this means there is only 1 kitty bowl left.
MJR: How do I know if we are doing this sidepork thing right for your dad?
ALR: Well, you looked at the butcher book right?
MJR: Yeah, but we've never done it with the group.
ALR: Well, we can fry a piece up and see what it's like.
MJR: Okay.
2 minutes later
MJR: Okay, it looks done.
ALR takes bite: Pbluck, yuck, gross. It's exactly as I remember it. My dad will love it.
Later....
Dad: Diana, you need to cook it more
Mom gives him the look
Dad: What?? I'm trying to help. If I don't tell you, you will do it the same next time!
Mom: Well....
Dad: How do you want me to tell you? I can email you.
Mom: Yeah, I'd like to see that!
ALR: Me too!

1 comment:

  1. Hey....you forgot to give me the credit of seeing both calves and having to call Dad and tell him to go check the barn!

    ReplyDelete