Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Controversy Ensues

Our house has been a buzz with the Olympics. Really not on my end, but Matt’s. Aside from the fact that he does not have any idea at any given time what the opening/theme music is, he is very attentive to following the sports. We watch it every night. Every night. And I’m so ready for regularly scheduled programming. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I can’t stand it. Some of it interests me and it’s better than other things we watch (outdoor shows, football, golf, outdoor shows) but the part that I get into is the stories. I like the story about the girl that got silver in skeleton or the ice dancers who have been together 17 years. I think by giving more depth into the characters of the story I have a higher interest.
 
But here’s a conversation for lack of understanding the Olympics. 
ALR: So why do they do the Olympics?
MJR: To compete.
ALR: That’s it?
MJR: What more is there?
ALR: I assumed there would be something towards the great good.
Pauses watching
ALR: What do they do with the tracks when they are done?
MJR: Well maybe they’ll use them for other training events or maybe some other events, but they’ll probably be torn down.
ALR: Oh, and how do they house them? Now that they’ve flooded the tourism with bad hotels, what happens then?
MJR: You are RUINING THE OLYMPICS!
Nothing was really a big deal, we observed and commented idly on the events until we got to women’s free skating. First, we watched the short program-some basic following but nothing in-depth. Matt was rather disturbed about the pre-pubescent girls being able to compete and take spots over others that have more experience. I didn’t care. But it was during the long program that things took a turn for the worst. I called who was going to win 1st, which was a 17 year old Russian. I knew she was going to win because I heard it at the 1:00 newsbreak on the radio (Yes, Matt, I know when you read this you will be upset that I played it off as just being attentive to the show). Matt was rooting for an American girl, Ashley Wagner as he liked her spunk and drive (notice he can’t tell you about her skating). Now when the skating was finished and the medals were proclaimed this is what I heard.

MJR: Bu##sh1t, Bu##sh1T! Rigged, This was Rigged. What do they Know? RIGGED!!! Why do we watch these RIGGED THINGS!
ALR: I told you that the Russian was going to win.
MJR: YOU are ANTI-AMERICAN. Here you sit going for the Russian and the South Korean!!! RIGGED!!
ALR: I am not Anti-American. I was hoping the American girls would win but I knew they weren’t going to medal. This is the way judging works. There is a winner and losers.
MJR: AHHH! Rigged!
ALR(in my head) The last time he yelled this much at a TV, it was the Stanley Cup.
MJR: Geez, the others fell and they got better scores! What the h3## is that!?
So the next day, at work. I check my email. Lo and behold, I have one from him. Subject line: Told you so. The body of the email is only a link “Gold for Russian, Silver for Kim Yu-Na and controversy Ensues.”
That night
ALR: Did you feel better sending me that article.
Smug MJR: Yes I did.
Best meal: Matt cooked walleye up with a breading. He wasn’t happy with the breading but the fish were still very good. We had rice and beans for sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment