Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Keep Growing Old...

It hit me the other day – I’m getting married. When I told Matt these he didn’t seem to understand my concern/shock. He said, you knew this was coming. I tried to explain…this is the big time, this is serious, this is no going back. His response was a little alarming as he said, there’s always a go back, it’s just expensive. I said, that that didn’t help my alarming feelings of the severity of what’s happening in our nearer future. He said that it was serious when I said yes to his question, he said it was serious when I decided to move back to Dickinson and move in with him, and it got even more real when we bought our house together. He informed me that we are already practically married and that very little will change. And they say romance is dead. I have been assessing the situation in my mind. Maybe it’s a bigger deal to me right now because of the changes that will happen. We will continue to intermingle finances. I will change my last name and therefore my identity to the public as I know it. Finally, we will begin to think about serious future plans including dogs, children, and IRA’s. We will officially become old and married and boring. We will talk about good school districts and financial advisors. We will look at coupons and watch the news to ensure property and other taxes are not affecting us. We will officially realize that we are adults.

This has been happening for some time, I’m ashamed to admit. Here are some hard core examples…Matt and I talked a bit about our registry and the items we were going to put on there. I think of what that would have looked like 10 or 15 years ago and the kid me would roll their eyes about some of the kitchen and organization items. I also have come to enjoy my bi-weekly bountiful basket that I get on Saturdays. Enjoy is an understatement as I like the surprise and find myself excited to order the basket and add-ons as well as see what’s arriving! To top it off, Matt also enjoys the surprise as he asks me right away what we got. This week’s is a bit more user friendly as there are not mustard greens in the inclusion, I’m excited about the avocados!

Aside from picking up my basket, the weekend was slow for me. I worked on some wedding details and am finalizing some things out as I build my organization lists and start to flesh things out in my head. Matt, however, had a much busier weekend. His bachelor party was this past weekend. It started on the golf course, included a “special” bus ride to the brewery, and ended with a “night cap” at a friend’s house. Based off some of the phone calls I got as well as the pictures that were sent to me, he had a good time or at least he served as the entertainment for the others. I’m glad he came home, all in one piece, alive, and 85% functional! He appeared a bit wore down, a lot of stink, and a tad sore but happy.

Best meal: Stuffed Zuchinni with sausage, marinara, and cheese with a Caesar salad and cucumbers. The other highlighting meal was the lunch I shared with Jerry and Janice...they stopped by on their way through town to catch up and grab a bite. I wish there was more time but I loved their company and it was very reminiscent of old Dickinson days.

Evening text from Groomsmen to Amanda:
7:19 and the groom is down.

                               19 Days...NINETEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment