Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Are we THERE YET?

When is it going to be summer...shoot, I'd be happy if we'd even get spring! It might actually be warming up!! I’m scared to put away my winter jacket and tube socks!! This week I have seen rain, snow, frost, wind, and sunshine, and it’s a wonder that I’ve haven’t put my garden in yet!! Also a shout-out thanks goes to Uncle Eugene for the runts of the tomato plants...I hope to have a great harvest..As of right now...nothing yet!

Dan has acquired two things this past week that have made his life much easier! A mini-fridge for the basement and a Lawn Mower, only a man can appreciate these purchases. I wanted to talk about yard beautification and he wanted me to stare at the Yard Monitor 9000, or whatever brand model it was. It was nice to come home and have a nicely mowed lawn this past week. We have been putting off buying it because of the cost but we were close to calling Dad to have him come do a first cutting for hay!

I drove to Williston on Wednesday with Katie from work and saw Jason Dorsey speak. He is called “the Gen Y Guy” and spoke about generational differences in the workplace. I thought that so many of his points were great. Baby Boomers have great skills that need to so many don’t have anymore, such as long division, the love of meetings, and they know their state capitals! Right now there are 4 generations in the workplace that each has different values and ideas when it comes to the concept of work. I am interested to see how things will change as the workplace becomes further dominated by gen y and the next to come!

The greatest relationship between the generations is between the traditional generation and the gen y’ers, which I thought about on my way to see Grandma and Grandpa Moser. These two amaze me…they have been married 59 years this August and don’t see how this can be monumental. They move together without thinking, talk without speaking, and their love is obvious when looking at these unintentional actions—these are all things that I didn’t notice growing up. I am blessed that both sets of my grandparent raised my parents in such a tenacious love that can’t be described. I know that this love did not come easy…it was time and trust that created that bond. In a world where these things are taken for granted and short cuts are planned, I appreciate the roots of my family tree and how they have created a solid base for me to lean on.

No comments:

Post a Comment