Pages

Monday, August 21, 2023

Triathlon. G's party, canoe, corn

Last full week before school starts. The kids went to Lansford but came back just in time for Kevie to come for Grady's birthday festivities! Matt and I love that Kevie plans a trip up each year to celebrate him and reconnect with us and we know we are difficult!

There was a lot happening this weekend too - We kicked off Saturday with the Triathlon. Grady was the youngest competitor - they let him compete because he was a week away from 6 and we did inform him that it was his 6yo birthday party that day. I was so proud of how they both did. It's not easy and although we've had swim lessons this past year, it's still a skill that takes a lot of learning and practice. The course has some nasty hills which is a beast for the bike but running was all good. They both did well. G came in under at 28:40 - comparable to Eleanor's first time and Eleanor shaved 4 minutes off her time last year to be 24:10ish. She also did more solo swimming this time. I'm hoping next year, they'll have the confidence to be alone and no lifevest... let's see. 




That afternoon, we did G's party. I felt bad that I didn't let him pick his theme, like I have when E hit that age but given what we got him - an inflatable canoe. I felt he would be okay with it. We opened presents, had tacos in a bag, and then I presented him with the first clue for a scavenger hunt... which led him to our present. We typically don't give our present at the party, we do it at our personal family party but given some circumstances - thought it was best. 

He loved the hunt - he had previously almost busted me hiding clues but I was so happy to see them rush around. He did want to keep it himself and not have his sisters in the fray but I'm not sure how to avoid that. There were 11 clues total and it took them all around the house with some levels of familiarity to things - where the feline eats (laundry room), unpack your lunch box (freezer), where your shoes are supposed-keyword to sleep at night, think purple (Ainsley's shoe bin). There were a few times that they got offtrack on a clue but when they got it they went off running... To the Bathroom! To the Grill! To the Travy!

The last clue took them to Matt's boat and G's Boat was still boxed in there. From there we had to blow it up and go on a ride right away. I'm hoping we can get a few in before the freeze happens. We ended the evening with cake. It was a long day but G seemed so happy with how it all went down. 


The following day, we kissed Kevie goodbye and took off to the farm. Dad donated sweet corn to preschool. It was good corn and we were excited to pick and sell this year again. I was surprised at how tall it got - some stalks taller than Matt. 

Was a good weekend...a busy weekend but all good. 

MJR and GRR getting into canoe.
ALR: Aren't you going to give him a paddle?
MJR: I'm tired of him smoking me in the head with it. 
ALR looks at GRR sitting in the canoe. GRR sees her looking, gives cheesiest grin possible: I'm ready to go!

.


No comments:

Post a Comment